Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hand Crank Meat Grinders

OhHeyThereBen

Anyone used one? I don't have a ton of venison to grind as I cube everything that's big enough. Therefore there's no way I'm spending a bunch on a electric grinder. Has anyone used one? Thinking a Weston #8 or #10.

Go on Craigslist and buy a used one at a minimum. If you’re going to be serious about butchering animals, you’ll need a grinder eventually.

Go on Craigslist and buy a used one at a minimum. If you’re going to be serious about butchering animals, you’ll need a grinder eventually.

I've been butchering animals since before I could hunt. We always do all of the cutting and send the scraps to be turned into something tasty. Somehow I just have never gotten a grinder. It's usually a very small amount that I grind so my family and I will just combine all of our scraps.

Appreciate the comments you two. I'll get one ordered!

If you have a kitchen aide they make a nice attachment for grinding burger. Better than the hand crank which I have also used.

A hand crank grinder is all I use. Got this from my dad so it must be at least 50+ years old and still works great. Keep your grinder plates and blade sharp and you'll be amazed at how easy it grinds. Put the grinder and parts in the fridge for a few hours before you use it and keep the meat and any fat you may want to use almost frozen.
I usually grind 15-20 pounds of meat at a time as we use it up.

0515161151-00.jpg

...no way I'd hand crank meat. I did it as a kid, and now even if its 20# I breakout the Carnivore. With an elk or 2 each year and several deer, I have found the investment worth it.

I used a hand grinder this year for the first time and I will never use one again. Turning it wasn't hard, but it just took so much longer. I think the investment for an electric one is worth it, but I can't recommend a brand. My parents upgraded their kitchen aide attachment (which was way faster and easier than a hand grinder) with a Cabela's heavy duty one, but that thing seems like such an overkill. I just wouldn't recommend a hand grinder, but I have heard that the older ones are much better than the new ones.

You took your scraps to a local butcher for grinding? That's a good idea, something that I've never thought about. About what did they charge? I've always done all my animals, but unless I have access to my parents meat grinder I might consider taking scraps to a butcher for grinding.

Anyone one remember when cabelas has their annual grinder sale? I know I see them on sale each year at pretty good discount.

I still use my dad's Universal #3 to grind small batches of meat for burger or sausage. Does not take long to grind 2-5lbs of meat, if it's cold like Cushman said. I just freeze batches of grind in 2lb packages.

Anyone one remember when cabelas has their annual grinder sale? I know I see them on sale each year at pretty good discount.
'Not sure when the sale is, but I bought the Cabela's large 1.75 hp grinder on sale several years ago, and it will flat grind elk trim into burger in no time. However, it is really heavy and somewhat difficult to move when assembled. I would recommend buying a somewhat smaller model, which will also grind meat quickly. That grinder was a great investment.

'Not sure when the sale is, but I bought the Cabela's large 1.75 hp grinder on sale several years ago, and it will flat grind elk trim into burger in no time. However, it is really heavy and somewhat difficult to move when assembled. I would recommend buying a somewhat smaller model, which will also grind meat quickly. That grinder was a great investment.

Mine was a 3/4 hp. Its heavy still, but manageable enough to get in and out of a cupboard. I just wish the throat were a bit wider.

I have been keeping my cuts whole the last couple of years and only grinding as I need/want burger instead of doing say 30 pounds at a time. I have a big electric grinder now, but have been thinking a small hand crank one would be easier than digging out the big one each time. The big one is nice when I make ring bologna or summer sausage with the case stuffer attachment.

You took your scraps to a local butcher for grinding? That's a good idea, something that I've never thought about. About what did they charge? I've always done all my animals, but unless I have access to my parents meat grinder I might consider taking scraps to a butcher for grinding.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure. We always had ours turned into brats and traded my dad whiskey for brats. I'm sure one of us got a better deal but I'm not sure who. There are places where I grew up that'll cut up an entire deer (into individual cuts and ground scraps) for 75 bucks.

I have a Weston #10 on the way and will let you guys know how it goes. I keep mine as mainly whole cuts as well so I only end up with about 4-5 pounds of scraps per deer. Seems to be the line most people are drawing for buying an electric, so I think I can tough it out.

Again, thanks for the insight everyone.

I would never hand crank grind anymore,,I have a cheapo electric meat grinder from bi-mart and about have it worn out after several years and many deer and elk,ect,,a Weston or cabelas is nice but I havnt spent the big money yet,,i think harbor freight has a cheap electric meat grinder also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back