Caribou Gear Tarp

Ramcat Broadheads

OhHeyThereBen

Anyone have any experience with them?

I've now killed three deer with them. With all of the shots I've had amazing penetration. They seem to just blast through shoulder blades and cruise through chest cavities like nobody's business. However, the blood trails are fairly crummy. Now, I struggle with a bit of color blindness (more color deficiency as the blood just doesn't jump out to me, but I can tell it's red when I see it) so that may be a small part of it. But I've spent a lot of time backtracking to practice up on my blood tracking skills and confirm what I'm seeing (or not seeing).

My recent buck was shot through both lungs at 20 yards with a pass through and the arrow buried 6 inches into the dirt. He only went about 50 yards and died quickly. Considering the double lung shot, one would expect to have a red superhighway to follow, but it was mostly drops.

I shot a mule deer doe through both shoulder blades last season and the arrow made it all the way through. She died quickly, however, the blood trail was wimpy again.

My one brother shoots Ramcats as well with the same results. Great penetration, great killing ability, but bad blood trails.

My other brother shoots G5 Montecs. Same results, but with a better blood trail.

Interested to hear your experiences.

Last edited:
I can't speak to ram cats, I've seen one elk shot with one but he died in sight so we didn't even follow the blood trail to see what it would have looked like. I assume it was good since it was a center heart shot and the bull only made it about 30 yards. I shot an antelope and an elk with a muzzy trocar this year and I couldn't be more impressed the goat only went about 40 yards but the blood trail was very impressive the elk was a little further back of a hit and went about 150 yards but had plenty of blood to follow.

Blood trails are a crap shoot IMO. This year my buck was a perfect double lung with pass through, almost zero blood trail but dead within 70yds. My elk plugged up both holes, but again a good shot with pass through. Small blood drops and then nothing after 200 yds. My buddys bull was a pass through and good feothy blood but dried up after 200 yards. I shot Rage long ago and had great blood, but still long trails. Id put penetration over the blood, i guess is what im saying

Blood trails are a crap shoot IMO. This year my buck was a perfect double lung with pass through, almost zero blood trail but dead within 70yds. My elk plugged up both holes, but again a good shot with pass through. Small blood drops and then nothing after 200 yds. My buddys bull was a pass through and good feothy blood but dried up after 200 yards. I shot Rage long ago and had great blood, but still long trails. Id put penetration over the blood, i guess is what im saying

Good point. The deer have all died quickly and I'm not willing to switch to a mechanical because I've heard bad shoulder blade stories. What broadhead did you use 406?

Good point. The deer have all died quickly and I'm not willing to switch to a mechanical because I've heard bad shoulder blade stories. What broadhead did you use 406?

First season with QAD Exodus 125g. Several animals in our group now fallen to them. Happy so far. Used to shoot Stingers but they move too much.

I shot a doe with one a few years back. It was a frontal shot and she ducked the string. Dropped instantly didn’t contact any of the vertebrae in the neck and slicked down the spine as well. I’ve never seen so blood come out of a deer only a little part of the blade bent. They seem to hang in there with my field points without adjustment.

They fly excellent for me. Keep with field points out to at least 50 yards. I guess the only complaint is the blood trails with them. Maybe I'm just too much of a bowhunting newbie (football in highschool and college ruined that for me). I'll keep rolling with them for now as I think I'm probably forgetting about the most important factors of a broadhead.

They fly excellent for me. Keep with field points out to at least 50 yards. I guess the only complaint is the blood trails with them. Maybe I'm just too much of a bowhunting newbie (football in highschool and college ruined that for me). I'll keep rolling with them for now as I think I'm probably forgetting about the most important factors of a broadhead.

I have a buddy who has killed a couple bulls with these as well. He said he has never seen a blood trail like these produced. He said it was like someone threw a paint can down on both of them.

I bought the Ramcats because the guy of the archery shop convinced me on them. I have to say that I have been disappointed in them. Went back to mechanicals. So far a turkey and two black bears have fell to the NAP Killzone Maxx broadheads. Devastating would be an understatement.
However I will say shot placement is the key regardless of broadhead. I also feel this subject is objective. To many variables when comparing broadheads. I feel depending on exactly where you hit with any given broadhead could have different results. In other words the same broadhead, shot more than once could produce different blood trails. Depends on exactly where it was hit. We as hunters could fall into the idea that if something worked awesome for us that all other products are inferior.

I was hoping someone would mention NAP killzone. Definitely my first choice.

I've witnessed some bad things happen with mechanicals in general so I'll probably never go that route. The Ramcats punch through nearly anything I shoot them at, so until they wear out I'll stick with them.

Although I've never used Ramcats, I've heard good things about them. I use Slick Tricks and blood trails are weak as well. Last year I had a buck directly beneath me, i picked a spot between his shoulder blades and let the arrow fly. The arrow spined him, travelled thru his lungs and heart and exited out his sternum into the ground. One would think this would leave a good blood trail, but it didn't, he managed to travel about 15 yards before dropping.(obviously I didn't need to track this one). I think blood trails are a hit or miss thing, I've killed quite a few animals, and honestly, can't think of one incident where tracking was easy because of a "good" blood trail.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back