Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MT Pheasant Opener

Ben Lamb

We went out on Saturday & Monday. Hunted around Freezeout & Loma.

Walked for about 15 miles. Didn't see one bird. Seems like it's a pretty bad bird year in MT for ditch parrots. Anyone else get out and have success?

I was deer hunting on ND opener, but I know one of my buddies limited out not too far from where I deer hunt. Not that this helps you out much in MT, but I always like a chance to get my 2 cents in.

Sorry to hear that Ben. We didn't get out but have heard they are few and far between. Nice day yesterday, should have fished Loma...

Sorry to hear that Ben. We didn't get out but have heard they are few and far between. Nice day yesterday, should have fished Loma...

It was a gorgeous day.

We switched up in the afternoon and I blew a couple of stalks on pronghorn does, & missed a chip shot. Still, it was a great day afield.

Bird numbers are WAY down this year. Pheasants, sharptail and huns.

I was deer hunting on ND opener, but I know one of my buddies limited out not too far from where I deer hunt. Not that this helps you out much in MT, but I always like a chance to get my 2 cents in.

I'd make a trip to the Peace Garden state if I knew I could get on some roosters. This little pup of mine thinks the only birds that exist are sagies at this point.

Bird numbers are WAY down this year. Pheasants, sharptail and huns.

We've done well on sage grouse this year, but have yet to even see a hun. I missed a sharpie last week, and we flushed a rooster too, but yeah, it's a crappy year to be a bird dog in MT if you want dry birds.

We hunted around Havre last weekend. Bird numbers were atrocious compared to a normal year.

It was probably the glare off from the barrels on that snooty 16 guage that told them to flee the county. If you would of used an old rusty 870 or Stevens single shot, you would of limited out.

Not that I want more competition, but our season is looking up with August road counts up 30-65% from last year. 10 days ago, Gus put up a dozen roosters and 2 hens in a 400 yds walk from the duck blind to the truck. Things are looking at least decent. Opener is the last Saturday of the month. Of course, this is Iowa. Not exactly next door for you guys.

We went out to eastern Montana on Saturday and put in over 6 miles. Only got 2 roosters up. My dog made a great retrieve on the one bird we got. It sure seems like bird numbers are down.

I'd make a trip to the Peace Garden state if I knew I could get on some roosters. This little pup of mine thinks the only birds that exist are sagies at this point.

If I knew what I was doing I'd invite you out. If you come anyway let me know. I could probably figure out a couple of spots to try.

If I knew what I was doing I'd invite you out. If you come anyway let me know. I could probably figure out a couple of spots to try.

I'd think a Hunt Talk Pheasant gathering would be a blast. We should think about it for next year!

See any grizz sign? Last time we hunted around Valier it was all over. One rancher wouldn't even let us hunt his land because he's already seen 7 that year.

It was probably the glare off from the barrels on that snooty 16 guage that told them to flee the county. If you would of used an old rusty 870 or Stevens single shot, you would of limited out.

lol.....:hump:

Ha!

My snooty 16 is out of commission this season due to my inability to navigate the internal workings of a Drilling when I reassembled it after refinishing the stock.

I was using my snooty 12. A 1936 vintage Greifelt O/U originally sold in the NYC Abercrombie & Fitch store to a wealthy furrier.

I do have an 870 express that drops geese like a freaking hammer though. ;)

Neffa - lots of bear sign, but it was old, and probably black bear based on the size & content.

Ha!

My snooty 16 is out of commission this season due to my inability to navigate the internal workings of a Drilling when I reassembled it after refinishing the stock.

I thought you had it all fixed and ready to go after the crack was fixed. That’s sucks! What’s the prognosis on getting it back afield?

Ben, your problem sounds familiar.

I helped a friend mend cracks and bed an OSchatz double with really cool and unusual locks on the trigger bar that somehow made the gun far slimmer than any normal 12 gauge. After the surgery, it wouldn't allow the safety to engage. The top and bottom tangs were a few microns too close together now. A lengthy inspection and diagnosis with multiple opinions was conducted and finally a few strokes of a diamond hone and all was well again.

I love working on these old guns and making them run again.

Spent two days in the central part of MT. Saw one lone sharptail, 2 roosters. The private refuge areas where it's common to see groups of pheasants were also mostly devoid of birds.
My snobby 16 went unfired. Tuesday afternoon found temps close to 70, kept the dog near the river - she never once got birdy during a 3 hour walk. Decided to call it quits, couldn't justify shooting the last bird alive. Tough year, nice colors though..............
DSCN0332.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back