Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Pheasant Opener

Private land near Wolf point last weekend, good number of birds for working without dogs. Definitely spread out, didn't run into any flocks. They were feeding heavily on the very large crop of berries.

I thought you had it all fixed and ready to go after the crack was fixed. That’s sucks! What’s the prognosis on getting it back afield?

Sorry, missed this!

It's a simple case of me not putting it back together correctly. I think you're thinking of JLS's snooty 16 Sauer (which is a very lovely gun) that had the crack in the stock which was fixed. I'm taking it to the smith in December to get it back in shape. Was very much looking forward to taking it out for elk & grouse (The 8mm R barrel shoots a 200 grain Woodleigh at 2300 fps), but that will have to wait until next year.

Brent - this is far beyond my abilities, and so the smith will get a hundred bucks to look disapprovingly at me and then fix my mistakes. :)

Spent two days in the central part of MT. Saw one lone sharptail, 2 roosters. The private refuge areas where it's common to see groups of pheasants were also mostly devoid of birds.
My snobby 16 went unfired. Tuesday afternoon found temps close to 70, kept the dog near the river - she never once got birdy during a 3 hour walk. Decided to call it quits, couldn't justify shooting the last bird alive. Tough year, nice colors though..............
View attachment 88683

Have had similar outings the last couple times. No birds for miles of walking. The pup did get a good education on what happens when you leap off of a 10 foot cliff into the Marias though. So it wasn't a total bust. :)

Rancho - glad you got into a few birds! Heading out on rifle opener for pheasant somewhere. Just not sure where.

Scatterings of pheasants are around - but seem to be few and far between. Discovered pockets of birds are at a premium this fall.
This AM, a public land wild MT rooster. Taken with the 16 over a fuzzy faced pointer who, after a less than spectacular shot, searched the four foot tall grass until she found it, pointing dead.
Maybe if/when it gets below 65 degrees, it'll be worth taking out the rifle, til then - doesn't get much better than this...........
jfez.jpg

Nice!

We put up a couple of roosters on Sunday, and I promptly managed to mess it up on both. Luckily my hunting partner connected on the second one. Hoping to find that golden ticket of a series of awesome belts & open fields with plentiful birds.

Until then, I'll console myself with pronghorn backstrap.

You are hunting in the wrong place, Lamb. Try interstate 94 west of Laurel in the north side ditch. Almost got em with the truck. Should be no problem
with your snooty shotgun. :hump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back