CO Pronghorn Buck Stolen

No breech in ethics,and why would you have to go 3mi. back to the trail head to stalk the buck?Pull off the roadway and make a stalk.
No harm no foul.Welcome to public land hunting.Stolen my AZZ!:cool:

Not how it works in all states my friend. Certain Co state lands have designated parking areas with walk in access from there. Now I'm not going to assume the other guy did something illegal but I can see how it looks that way

Bc you can only enter the land from the one and only designated parking lot. CPW issued tickets to those that parked any where else. I don't make the rules folks. For the record the location was Turkey Track Ranch STL, GMU118. I heard a 2nd lot may open up on the north side next year.
IMO you should just feel blessed to have seen a lope on there lol stop giving out your spots to try and prove your point ;)

Another hunter shared a story with me about his hunt being ruined in that unit bc rubber neckers saw his stalk from the road and the GF driver dropped her BF off and he climbed the fence only to scare the lope off. The hunter called CPW but since the person was dropped off and did not park on the road, no infraction. Had she parked and waited for him, it would have been trespassing. Funny grey area. Semantics....

IMO you should just feel blessed to have seen a lope on there lol stop giving out your spots to try and prove your point ;)

Sorry, was beginning to think that unit was unique in regards to parking and that's why nobody understood. Either way he's steak n burger now :(

I'm calling dibs on a buck I've seen for a couple of years I call goalpost for next year if I draw a muzzleloader tag. He's easily a booner and I don't want anyone else to get him. I'll be sure to complain if he gets killed this year or next archery season.

No Way Man Thats Stealing!lol! Luv Ya' Man!Really someone stole my Jackrabbit.:cool:

My friend and I glassed up a herd of elk from the road some years ago just before dark. A guy drove by and saw us glassing before we could quit and look in another direction and throw him off. We figured that he spotted them too, and that he'd be after them from the road. Very early next morning we hiked up a canyon several draws away from where we saw them last and got ahead of them, it was still full dark. Sure enough our Elk "thief" came directly at them from the road and pushed them right past us at under 100 yards. We both got Bulls, a 5 and a 6 point. Thank God for game thieves. Stuff happens, deal with it. By the way, the elk stayed well ahead of him and kept looking back at him, he got nothing.

Last edited:
Another hunter shared a story with me about his hunt being ruined in that unit bc rubber neckers saw his stalk from the road and the GF driver dropped her BF off and he climbed the fence only to scare the lope off. The hunter called CPW but since the person was dropped off and did not park on the road, no infraction. Had she parked and waited for him, it would have been trespassing. Funny grey area. Semantics....

Thats likely what happened here except the buck got shot. No doubt that it sucks though.

wow. this guy is getting jumped on. It is likely how you presented it as "stolen". No such thing as stolen wild game. I get that it sucks. If something illegal happened, call warden. If it is an ethics thing (not saying yes or no), most have almost gotten used to seeing it from some lowlife here and there.

Yeah, complaining on the internet accomplishes nothing. Taking a picture or writing down a license plate # and vehicle description, then calling the game warden accomplishes much more...

Geez, you are getting beat up pretty good. I wanted to defend you on this, but at the end of the day I don't think I understand the exact situation. If it were me, I would probably be pissed about the situation and then work on how I would react given another similar opportunity. Chalk it up as a learning experience and more forward. Best of luck in the future.

Geez, you are getting beat up pretty good. I wanted to defend you on this, but at the end of the day I don't think I understand the exact situation. If it were me, I would probably be pissed about the situation and then work on how I would react given another similar opportunity. Chalk it up as a learning experience and more forward. Best of luck in the future.

Thanks mtmiller, I guess everyone thought I literally meant stolen from my pocket. That's not what I was implying, I actually typed up the story and tried to post but got the alert to add a title. I had no idea what to say so to keep it short I put CO pronghorn stolen. I know now I should've said trespassed or at least disappointment. Just thought I was sharing my experience on opening weekend. I guess for now on I'll keep my mouth shut and post when I harvest. Since sarcasm is hard to comprehend online.

My opening weekend was a friggin circus, especially starting on a saturday. UGH what a shitshow. Any lopes you could see in the distance were quickly ran by road hunters. We got set up into an escape route we patterned during archery just to have people see us and wave to us, then drive right by us. I just got home from going out and didn't see a single antelope. I was on a stalk during archery this year and was within about 100 yards after a half hour crawling stalk, when some douche on the road stopped and started beeping his horn and got out waving at me over his head and yelling about that big buck out there....the one I was stalking...who got up and bolted. It's frustrating as hell, but it makes success all that much sweeter.

We're just giving you a hard time, dude. Stick around and give us shit back...we all have thick skin :W:

My opening weekend was a friggin circus, especially starting on a saturday. UGH what a shitshow. Any lopes you could see in the distance were quickly ran by road hunters. We got set up into an escape route we patterned during archery just to have people see us and wave to us, then drive right by us. I just got home from going out and didn't see a single antelope. I was on a stalk during archery this year and was within about 100 yards after a half hour crawling stalk, when some douche on the road stopped and started beeping his horn and got out waving at me over his head and yelling about that big buck out there....the one I was stalking...who got up and bolted. It's frustrating as hell, but it makes success all that much sweeter.

We're just giving you a hard time, dude. Stick around and give us shit back...we all have thick skin :W:

I understand, last year I filled my tag on day one a ranch that I've established a good friendship with. Unfortunately I applied for points this year and was in australia when the leftovers posted. By the time I returned it was slim pickings and after 3 full days in a unit i was unfamiliar with I came out with 2 failed stalks (wind and my fat head looking around thinking I lost them), 1 one buck that got away (dont think I need to mention that story again), and another buck that I ranged at 250 then he turned to me and his prongs didnt go beyond his ears so i let him live til next year or next hunter that sees him. I still have some lope meat from last year in the freezer and a late season tag that is high success rate so I dont regret that decision.... yet.

Last edited:
Speaking of fat heads....

I was crawling/stalking a herd from sage brush to sage brush and watched them go over a small rise, so I got up a bit and moved with a quickness. I got to the rise and start crawling again. I lost sight of them and still hadn't seen them, so I went a little further and stopped again behind a bush. I go to peek around the side of it and not 10 yards away is a yearling feeding behind another bush that I never saw who blew, the does looked up and caught me and blew, and they all bailed. Oh, the joys of archery on public lands....

That's crappy if those guys actually poached that buck. I'd be pissed too. Mostly at the violators, but also partly at myself for not sticking around to watch it happen and report it to authorities. Without witnessing anything, you're better off using your time to find another goat than being mad about a potential violation that can't be proven.

You lost me at old and fat. Just cause guys are grey and a little round, doesn't make them bad hunters. I know a few portly guys who are damn fine sportsmen. Pretty presumptuous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back