Colorado First Rifle Season: Excitement & Analysis Paralysis

Mortons seasonal salt is better than lawrys. LOL Congratulations!

Great stuff, congrats!!!!! If you find fairly fresh elk tracks (last 24-48 hours) during the day, do you use this information for hunting later? If so, how? During my first trip elk hunting in CO, I could find elk tracks, but never any elk (except ones that were running and didn’t give me a shot…).

SPDSpappy,
Thanks for your comment. Sorry for the late response, I was not aware of this question until now. Regarding your question, personally it will depend on the situation. If you see tracks everywhere, maybe it will not help much to follow those tracks. But if you see a single big bull track over your footsteps from the day prior, maybe it will be worth to follow those tracks so see where they go. Perhaps you may run into the single bull across the canyon or notice that this bull was coming back from water and if that’s the case, he will walk that path again.

Tracks can also tell you some clues into what the elk are doing in the area. Single file tracks of a bunch of animals may be a group of Elk migrating to another area. A Bunch of tracks going different directions may be a group of elk feeding or coming back from water.

Get ready for next year and try to get another 1st Rifle Season Tag. There are many units in which you can get a 1st rifle tag with ZERO points. Your chances of getting something are much better in 1st or late season, stay away from 2nd rifle season until you know your area inside and out. Just my 2 cents bro.. – ColoradoHunter719

Thanks for the response! It's good to hear from someone w/ a lot more experience in preparation for next year. Yes, I'm planning on heading back to the same place next year for 1st rifle season and have 0 concern about getting a tag there again. All of the bull tags weren't even sold by the time the hunt ended. I think it's going to require getting in a lot further for a decent bull. We followed Randy's and Corey's podcast this year about not getting in super deep on an area we weren't familiar with, but now that we've been there, we are already planning on getting in further. Thanks again for your insight!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back