Caribou Gear Tarp

Bipod vs shooting sticks

I've never used a bipod but I'm wanting to try one. Think I'll get a 25" Harris. It'll be going on my 338. Don't know if I'll like it but I'll never know if I don't try. I've had Stony Point shooting sticks for many years but have only shot one or two animals with them. I've also missed a couple times with them and would've been better off using my pack. They seem to work pretty well if I have lots of time to get set up but if I'm in a hurry not so much.

Honestly, ya won't know till you try. All the different comments kinda show that. You gotta find what works for you, and the situations you hunt in. The only good option is the one that fits your style.

Have been using the Snipe Pod for years and really like it. Can be used from prone or sitting and weighs next to nothing.

Uh-oh. What size do you run? I run 27" and use 1 section if I can get prone. Have you had any inconsistencies with it? I just bought it last year so still figuring out the possibilities.

I've used a harris bipod for years and I took advantage of Swagger's RMEF discount and bought a swagger bipod. There discount was about $75 off!

Crazy Warrior,
Would you consider making your own sticks? I make a simple pair many years ago. Put almost no effort into it and it cost me two leather bootlaces. I figured I would get tired of them and toss them aside out in the field. but that was well over 20 yrs ago. since then, I have killed too many animals over them to count and have hiked miles back to retrieve them when I forgot them on a log where I stopped to rest. I sling them over my shoulder with one of the boot laces. They probably set up faster for shooting from sitting than a bipod or commercial sticks.

In any event, you can experiment with a couple of saplings cut out of a fence row, but don't be surprised if you find yourself sill using them a quarter of a century later.

751ojrP.jpg

Hallelujah! I was starting to think I was the only guy left still using a shooting sling. Many years back, though, I switched from the USGI 1907 sling to a Ching Sling from Langlois Leather. It requires a third sling swivel stud amidships, but loop up is almost instantaneous. Doesn't stay locked high up on your arm for long strings of slow fire as well, but in hunting it's the first shot that really counts. Sling shooting does take learning and practice, though. The RWVA Appleseed program teaches sling shooting very well. My longest shot was on an antelope somewhere a little past 400 yards from the sitting with the USGI sling.

I was thinking the same thing as you Cav! I use a Rhodesian from Andy's Leather. Quick entry (not as fast as a Ching) without the third stud. I do have some Whelan slings on some 22s and on my Mini 14. They work, but I just prefer my Rhodesian. Took this year's mule deer shooting off of my sling prone.

Blueridge,
Thanks! It is a Ballard Pacific (aka #5). It is 100% original except for the wiping stick which may or may not be the original. No one really knows that it is supposed to look like exactly. Anyway, it is a .45-70 that I would like to think made it out onto the buffalo plains back in The Day. But I will never know for sure. It gets out there now on a regular basis. It is loaded with blackpowder and a 480 gr, paper patched, lead-tin bullet.

I take to heart the old saying, "Life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun."

Back