When Hunters are Jerks

Amazing an agreement is reached - then breached. Compound that with another issue on the same hunt and it's time for a PBer What a royal set of bummers! Then other posts of other crap... Thankful I've not had that set of contention.

The most significant event I recall was a heck of a long time ago... Began our venture to develop understanding of new territory. Archery was great. I pulled a decent bull. thought we would return for rifle.

We liked our camp from archery season so, we returned. Sitting around the fire that night, a truck pulled in. An elder gent stepped out and went straight to talk.

Something to the effect, "You're not out of here before morning, your camp will burn to the ground."

He stepped back into his truck and drove off.

Last edited:
We really need more pics/videos of these confrontations and jacakssery on the web so they can be properly shamed in public. The threats are the best.

Onpoint, you have much more patience than I. That is absolutely ridiculous with so much space that they set up on you.

I am lucky in that I have not had this happen big game hunting yet. Very little pressure on public lands during the archery deer season and I hunt on private land during the rifle season. I have had to deal with jerks duck hunting multiple times. You are working birds, they are clearly going to swing by your decoys, and another group on the lake just starts skyblasting at them. Then there is my personal favorite: you get out over an hour before shooting hours and get all set up. About 20 minutes before hours, someone shows up at the boat launch. They then set up right on top of you at shooting hours. So much for waking up early to get the spot....

Come to NY, we have more hunters who are jerks per square mile then any place else. I was hunting bowhunting behind my house this year, up in a stand thats maybe 15 feet off the ground, the ground has maybe a 5 foot rise behind me that goes about 60 yards to the property line. My ....ah neighbor, if you can call him that comes riding his s/s along his property line. No big deal, he does almost every day of the bow season as he doesn't bow hunt. Any way on his way back, with about 30 minutes of hunting time left he came back past. Being neighborly I waved a hello at him. He stops the side by side and takes a chainsaw of the bed, turns him back to me and runs it full throttle for about 5 minutes or so. Mind you he didn't cut anything as I was watching him with my binoculars and can see plan a day. Talk about being an Ahole. I almost feel sorry for him.

I heard this one from our local game warden. Father and son (about 13 years old, his first elk hunt) were hunting on the National Forest and had hiked a couple miles back in and came across a rag horn bull. The son gets set up and takes a shot, the bull does the stiff legged dance and is about ready to fall when another shot rings out, and the bull falls.

As the father and son approach the bull, two hunters (guys in their late 50's or 60's) come riding horses out of the trees. They tell the father and son it is their bull, to stay away from it, as it is "a widely known rule in Wyoming the person that downs the animal is the one that tags it." The father tells the guys his son hit the bull and it was "dead on it's feet", also this was his first elk, etc. Makes no difference to these guys as their behavior starts to become threatening.

Given the situation, the father decides he does not want to argue with these guys so he and his son leave the area. One of the guys on horses is a well known contractor in our town and is known to be a jacka$$.

In telling the story to our local game warden the father indicated he hoped the incident did not sour his son on hunting.

Hard to hear these kind of stories.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
If you hunt public land you'll run into this sort of thing eventually. We probably all got some stories. But, yes, it is pretty incredible the things some people do out there.

Two situations arose this weekend for antelope hunters on a ranch.

Situation 1: Two groups arrived at the same location and scouted some antelope. Everyone had doe tags, no buck tags. Deference was given to the group that arrived first and an amicable plan that could likely result in everyone filling their tags was agreed upon. This plan was thwarted 30 minutes into the hunting season when a jerk in a 10 year old or so grey (probably Dodge) truck jumped out and fired two shots from the road towards a couple who were wearing orange and awaiting antelope that were travelling their way. The animals were probably more than 300 yards from the road. He was dangerously close to hitting the other hunters. No one harvested anything and a morning was lost after calling the game warden and trying to find the guy.

Situation 2: A hunter was scouting an open field watching 3 does and formulating a plan. Another truck pulls up, says they are hunting the same area. They defer to the first hunter who tells them his plan; they agree to stay in the truck and watch. After a lengthy stalk to 250 yards, the second group gets out of their truck and begins walking DIRECTLY at the antelope, spooking them off. The first hunter packs up and moves off to another area instead of confronting them.

I, frankly, have no tolerance for hunters like this. What is the desperate need that drives them to steal opportunity from another hunter (who is supposed to be something akin to a brother-in-arms)? I wondered all day at how we as a group could self-police behavior like this. Confrontation, with emotion and guns around, seems foolhardy. Doing nothing and allowing behavior like this to continue does not break the cycle. Public shaming of some sort seems to be a very effective way of curbing bad behavior. So this is part rant, but a larger part brainstorming of how to police our own.
This example is EXACTLY why we do not aliow access to our ranch. BEEN there done that never ever again

This example is EXACTLY why we do not aliow access to our ranch. BEEN there done that never ever again

Personally chopping down the tree over a couple bad apples is a bummer though to each his/her own. Certainly respect any private landowner's legal decision.
Had access to a private road that sped up routing to public land. Used it several years then one day showed to find it gated w/ a sign that stated landowner's disappointment theft of decoys and blind from his duck hunting spot on his private pond his private road passed.
A few of us pitched in for a g/card though never heard from him again for access. Apparently it really pissed him off.
This is why it's extremely important to share appreciation for Block Management private landowners and those who open their property limited or open to all. They're part of our holiday card recipient list.

I hunt mainly on private property while hunting in the east. All these stories make me feel not even guilty about it...

I heard this one from our local game warden. Father and son (about 13 years old, his first elk hunt) were hunting on the National Forest and had hiked a couple miles back in and came across a rag horn bull. The son gets set up and takes a shot, the bull does the stiff legged dance and is about ready to fall when another shot rings out, and the bull falls.

As the father and son approach the bull, two hunters (guys in their late 50's or 60's) come riding horses out of the trees. They tell the father and son it is their bull, to stay away from it, as it is "a widely known rule in Wyoming the person that downs the animal is the one that tags it." The father tells the guys his son hit the bull and it was "dead on it's feet", also this was his first elk, etc. Makes no difference to these guys as their behavior starts to become threatening.

Given the situation, the father decides he does not want to argue with these guys so he and his son leave the area. One of the guys on horses is a well known contractor in our town and is known to be a jacka$$.

In telling the story to our local game warden the father indicated he hoped the incident did not sour his son on hunting.

Hard to hear these kind of stories.

ClearCreek

Wow. That's quite a high level of dickery. Poor kid.

Two situations arose this weekend for antelope hunters on a ranch.

Situation 1: Two groups arrived at the same location and scouted some antelope. Everyone had doe tags, no buck tags. Deference was given to the group that arrived first and an amicable plan that could likely result in everyone filling their tags was agreed upon. This plan was thwarted 30 minutes into the hunting season when a jerk in a 10 year old or so grey (probably Dodge) truck jumped out and fired two shots from the road towards a couple who were wearing orange and awaiting antelope that were travelling their way. The animals were probably more than 300 yards from the road. He was dangerously close to hitting the other hunters. No one harvested anything and a morning was lost after calling the game warden and trying to find the guy.

Situation 2: A hunter was scouting an open field watching 3 does and formulating a plan. Another truck pulls up, says they are hunting the same area. They defer to the first hunter who tells them his plan; they agree to stay in the truck and watch. After a lengthy stalk to 250 yards, the second group gets out of their truck and begins walking DIRECTLY at the antelope, spooking them off. The first hunter packs up and moves off to another area instead of confronting them.

I, frankly, have no tolerance for hunters like this. What is the desperate need that drives them to steal opportunity from another hunter (who is supposed to be something akin to a brother-in-arms)? I wondered all day at how we as a group could self-police behavior like this. Confrontation, with emotion and guns around, seems foolhardy. Doing nothing and allowing behavior like this to continue does not break the cycle. Public shaming of some sort seems to be a very effective way of curbing bad behavior. So this is part rant, but a larger part brainstorming of how to police our own.
You just described 40% on Nevada hunters.

Well to shed some light. My hunting partner and I downed a bull in a deep ugly hole that happened to have an atv trail going thru it. Packed out the first half and came across an older gentleman and his son I believe on their side by side. We got to chatting with them about how it went down. Found out myself and the older gentlemen were both marines and he offered to help get the rest out. I offered him a portion and he declined. There is a few good people out there and I will be offering help to someone I don't know if I run into them out in the woods. Gotta spread that good juju.

Hahaha the valve stem idea is pretty funny until the guy freezes to death in a blizzard that night because he was stuck 40miles from the nearest town without cell phone service.

Nope, he should have a dry truck cab, warm cloths & a tank of gas to keep warm and wait out the pending storm. What if the alternator went out... he'd be in the same situation.

@wllm1313 mentioned in another recent post about the personal quality of restraint among hunters. It may be of more importance than hunter education, or just about any other aspect of hunting. Every hunter has some degree of it, and those who have little end up doing a lot of illegal, unsafe, unethical, and otherwise scary things. So how do folks like these develop more restraint? There are external controls such as law enforcement actions, social forces such as public shaming or peer pressure, but perhaps the most powerful and lasting mechanism is developing an internal desire to practice more restraint. I don't have a great idea of what motivates hunters to want to have this though.

As a young hunter there were choices I made, whether it was spacing, spooking game, taking a less than fully safe/ethical shot, etc., that caused other hunters to complain about me as "that guy." I mostly just shrugged it off and didn't give it much thought apart from being annoyed about someone else's complaining. I began hunting solo at age 16, and while I was proficient enough to drive around and kill animals, I look back and see how terribly lacking I was in the respect, thoughtfulness, and empathy departments. I was mentored, but I see now how much I could have benefited from a lot more of it. I'm 35 now, and for many years now I've been on the other side of the fence - rarely doing something another hunter objects to, and instead being the one to be bothered by and sometimes confronting others who do the sorts of things I used to do.

I suspect that a lot of the driving force behind lack of restraint when hunting is having a #1 goal of killing an animal. This is what gets congratulated, posted on social media, bragged about, photographed, etc, and therefore people will take a thousand and one shortcuts to achieve this end. It's actually a fairly tall order to hold out to successfully kill an animal in a manner that is completely ethical, legal, and safe, while passing up the dozens or hundreds of opportunities along the way to achieve the same end through illegal, unsafe, or unethical means. I would guess that a majority, or at least a sizable minority, of hunters are routinely not up to this task.

My set of hunting values, in order, for most of my adult life:
#1 Safety
#2 Fun
#3 Bring something home

My current order:
#1 Restraint
#2 Safety
#3 Respect for the land, others, and the game
#4 Appreciation for the natural world
#5 Promote conservation and hunter participation
#6 Fun
#7 Camaraderie
#8 Killing

When I hunted in Wyoming the only Idiots I saw doing illegal things were residents.

-Trespassing
-Chasing deer with their side by sides (Thanks for pushing that 160" buck to me whoever you were...I couldn't make out your face because it was one big frown...lol)
-Shooting from public roads
-Driving around drinking beer while "deer hunting"

Hard to believe the shit I saw. And the worst part about it is that they were BLATANTLY doing it...But hey, thats public land so I am told lol.

Everyone always blames out of state hunters for crap out west. It is in my opinion that the most extreme cases of hunter shenanigans are being committed by residents.
Non-residents know the consequences and the cross-state laws and normally behave themselves...normally...not always though.

I cant complain too much we got our deer and left and made the most of the trip. But I love to hear the blame being pushed to non-residents. Because what I have seen is almost 100% just the opposite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back