Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming elk with a little help from new friend

wytex

Went back up for the weekend hunt and to take down camp, snow coming that could make it a quite a task next weekend.

Left town early with plans to be driving in right at daybreak, worked out perfectly.
Driving in when the truck in front of us stopped on the road, as we eased over to pass him he sticks a hand out the window and stops us. Elk on the ridge just above the road. He has a deer tag.
Sure enough a nice 5 pt with a hand full of cows are on the finger ridge. We drive out of sight, down the road just a bit in the direction they are moving, the other truck drives on.
We eased up though the aspens and make it to the cattle exclusion fence and there they are, the cows have us pegged and the bull is above them watching us too. As they start to take off I ask for a cow call, the spouse calls and the bull turns and comes back towards us, giving me a shot. I shoot, feels good and the bull reacts to the hit. He turns to follow the cows and the spouse lets out another cow call. The bull again stops and offers a nice broadside shot at about 320 yds. No reaction, I missed!
He runs to the small aspen motte between us. We move up the ridge to the side of the aspens and we can hear him struggling to make it out of them. He breaks out the other side and tries to get up the ridge. Another cow call stops him for a perfect broadside shot at 209 yds. He goes down hard with the shot and we are ecstatic.
I lay back in gratitude marvelling at what just happened when I hear "he's up". The bull got to his feet and took off straight downhill to the aspen motte again. What?
He made his death run to the edge of the aspens and was done.
Thankfully he ended up in the open for processing.
While quartering, the deer hunter makes his way down the draw, we had pushed some deer by him but only a small buck he passed on. He watched the gutless quartering method, commenting on how clean it was then helped us "pack" the quarters to the saddle where we had the game cart waiting for the ride out. He even wanted to steer the cart downhill for us, which we gladly let him do. I had a front quarter in my pack, spouse had a quarter in pack and the rest carted it's way down the ridge. Cabelas will be selling another game cart according to the deer hunter.
All happened within 650 yards of the road and the truck. We had a 600 yd pack out down hill.

Would we have seen the elk, maybe but the stopped truck had our attention on it , not looking for game at that moment. The hunter explained that other guys had helped him and his son take a very nice 7 pt a few years ago and ever since he tried to pay it forward. Eli, you're a good man!! Hope you enjoy the elk tenderloin we gave you.
DSCN1803 (960x720).jpg
IMG_0614 (960x640).jpg
DSCN1810 (960x720).jpg
IMG_0611 (960x640).jpg

Did ya offer Eli a beer too? That's a good guy there! Great story and bull. Congratulations!

Did ya offer Eli a beer too? That's a good guy there! Great story and bull. Congratulations!

Oh yeah, he has a standing invitation at The Library. Had to talk him into taking a tenderloin. He lives in Cheyenne.

First shot was a little low but one lung looked like. No bullet recovery. I used some new loads with Trophy Bonded tips. Entry and exit holes on last shot was about the same size but damage in between the two was great. Looks like the bullet mushroomed some but the damage to the ribs and shoulder blades was impressive, lungs we could see were blown up.
Pure luck put us in the right spot at the right time I feel like. After miles on the boots during archery season this elk was a blessing for me.

I need to move to WY - random dudes point out elk and help pack it out!

Seriously though, it's always nice to hear the stories of good people doing good things.

Congrats and may all your pack outs be that easy.

You often hear about negative hunting stories nice to hear a positive one. Congratulations on your bull!

random dudes point out elk and help pack it out!

I know of another guy in Laramie who got his bull, decent 6x6, in 2016 because some deer hunters showed him where it was. I've never had a bad experience with other hunters in WY.

Congrats, Wytex!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back