10x42 enough for open country muleys?

jtm307

For my birthday, I just received a pair of 10x42 binoculars that cost much more than what I would ever spend on my own. My desire to get a spotting scope is now diminished. For you muley junkies who hunt open country deer, is 10x42 enough glass provided it's good quality? What little mule deer hunting I've done has been on private land with high deer density where glassing wasn't essential. I am NOT a score seeker. Any 4x4 older than a couple years is enough to thrill me at this point.

10x42 are generally considered the 'go to glass' combination. They should work well for you. For extreme distances, try placing them on a tripod for added comfort and ease of spotting. You can work your way up to a spotting scope in good time. I usually carry both when hunting them, but use the scope primarily to see exactly what the buck is before I walk a good distance to hunt him.

I would say yes, coupled with a good tripod you should be good. However, If I were to buy a new pair of glass I would seriously consider 12's because of a gohunt article I read awhile back comparing 10s, 12s, and 15s. The conclusion was 12s might be the way to go for various reasons. Some people are crazy and carry all three or 10s and 15s. Hunting blacktail and mulies I have had good success using 10s and a light weight 11x33 spotting scope. Ill go back to the tripod comment, if you're already not using one with binos I cant stress it enough. It will change your life in the hills, you'll pick out a ear twitch 600 yards away in thick brush.

10x42 is exactly what I use for open country muley and antelope. I have never hear about people carrying more than one pair as lastlight mentioned

Great binos for open country hunting, we have used Swaro 10x42's for years with great success. Save up for that spotting scope, our swaro makes a world of difference as we get older and try to hunt smarter. Not near as many stalks on animals we pass on now that we can see what they are from a great distance.
Get a good bino harness, makes for more comfortable wearing all day.

You shouldn't have any problems. Unless you want a really close look at the antlers, you'll be able to tell a decent buck from a small one from a mile away.

They'll be perfect . I have 8x42 leupolds anf love them . This is my thirteenth season on same set . I keep them clean and in the case in the offseason, that's key . I always figure at a mile or a half mile if I can't tell it's atleast a decent buck with these binoculars then the buck is not worth me going after

I am not a trophy seeker either but like yo get a 4.5 or older buck if possible

I carry my 10x42s, generally use them first when I get to a good glass spot to do a quick once over of closer stuff and obvious "bucky" looking spots. Then I get the tripod out and slap on the 18x56 Kaibabs and start picking apart the farther out stuff. Worked great out in the sage hills of WY earlier this month. But 10s on a tripod work surprisingly well, especially if its windy (which it tends to be out west).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back