Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Browning Hell's Canyon Speed Scope Help

Strobl2012

Howdy. First post here on HT. I recently acquired a browning hell's canyon speed in 300 wm. It has the 20 moa rail on it and i'm thinking about putting a 50mm objective lens scope on top. Would also consider a 44mm if y'all think that's better. Do y'all have recommendations on scope rings? Should I go medium or tall with the 50mm? I'll mainly be using this gun for hunting but like to throw some lead long distance at metal gong every now and then, too.

I don't know much about these setups so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Low rings with a 50 mm and 20 moa rail. .. you want the bell of the scope as close to the barrel as possible without touching.. keep in mind the rail is already raising the height of the scope. The 20 moa comes from the angle of the rail not the height. warne mountain tech or nightforce rings is all I use. 76F6C109-B58A-4708-9725-C6C708C641F4.jpg

This is a build I just did, 20 moa Rail and low rings with 50 mm objective. Still lots of room between the the scope and barrel. Hells canyon has a thinner barrel than this.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm old fashion, but do many people use a 20moa rail for hunting? I don't and wouldn't. I have a .308 target rifle with a 20moa rail and the scope bottoms out with the bullet hitting about 8 inches high at 100 yards. Not what I would want in a hunting rig, but that's just me.

Maybe I'm old fashion, but do many people use a 20moa rail for hunting? I don't and wouldn't. I have a .308 target rifle with a 20moa rail and the scope bottoms out with the bullet hitting about 8 inches high at 100 yards. Not what I would want in a hunting rig, but that's just me.

I don't need or use a rail. Nor do I need or use a 50mm objective. Just me. mtmuley

Appreciate the feedback so far. The 20 rail came with gun, not sure if I’ll use it? The main thing I’m mixed up about is the overall height between the rings and rail. I might just have to tinker with it a bit to see.

@quackiller that’s legit. Thank you and that definitely does help.

There is so many variances in barrel contours and what not, whenever I mount a new scope I generally buy 2 different heights of rings either low & med or med & high depending. Then I just return whatever ones don't fit the best. I've come home from the store too many times with the wrong size.

I have same setup, 300wm, 20moa rail and put a vortex viper hst on it. Zero complaints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back