Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Grinding Pronghorn

Brachii

Anyone have suggestions on proper pronghorn ground meat? With it being so lean and tendonis, is adding oil during the grinding process an option or do I need to get actual fat from the meat market?

I always grind my wild game with added fat. I buy beef suet from a local butcher and add in at 10%. Pork fat works just fine as well.

We add 20% pork butts. Turns out great every time. Just had my last package last night. Luckily we are heading back this week on a deer hunt and I’ve got a couple antelope tags in my pocket.

If I grind antelope (rarely) I use lamb fat. Much better taste with antelope works well when cooking meat rare.

I also use beef suet for most of my grind I add 1 pound of suet for every 5 pounds of game meat it works well for me. I also use ground pork for some recipes like bratwurst, breakfast sausage, etc. using 1 pound of ground pork for every 4 pounds game meat.

I dont put any fat with my game when I grind. If you do that you just neeed to be aware when you cook it.

I grind it as is. You can mix it with some beef, or something later, if you want. It makes fantastic meat load etc., without added fat. The only thing you need that for is when making patties for the barby.

I did about 10% bacon the last go around. The real cheap stuff thats almost all fat. It was enough to help it from drying outwhile cooking but not enough to make it taste like bacon. Will do again.

I use cheap fatty port roasts to grind in with antelope, elk, and deer. It works great. If you do want a different flavor I too like adding cheap smokey flavor bacon bits and pieces into the grind with the pork and wild game. It's just like making bacon burgers except it's ground into the meat. Makes a nice treat and tastes just like a typical bacon burger only with better flavor.

I always grind twice. Once when mixing in my pork and game meat, and I mix it up by hand and run it through the grinder one more time before I package it up.

I did about 10% bacon the last go around. The real cheap stuff thats almost all fat. It was enough to help it from drying outwhile cooking but not enough to make it taste like bacon. Will do again.

I do the same except I usually go about 20% and it's just enough to give the slightest hint of bacon flavor. I use bulk bacon ends and pieces.

That sounds like a great idea I'll have to try that next antelope if I can find lamb fat.

Hint: Find a whole lamb and butcher it yourself ;) !!! Really good heritage breeds of meat lambs are hard to beat (and hard to find).

For making burger, I go 85% wild game and 15% fresh beef fat. I use elk for burgers and deer/lope for hotdishes, tacos, etc. This makes excellent elk burgers.

For making burger, I go 85% wild game and 15% fresh beef fat. I use elk for burgers and deer/lope for hotdishes, tacos, etc. This makes excellent elk burgers.

Agree wholeheartedly. If you have the luxury (or necessity as some of us see it) of having antelope and/or deer and elk - the elk trim burger makes the best burgers. I usually mix my deer and antelope trim and use it for anything that takes ground up burger - tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc. Using antelope trim this way - it really doesn't matter how much or how little fat content. I go under 10%, but really doesn't matter......

I grind it as is. I cube it so the grinder does not get clogged by connective tissue. When I cook it, I add a dallop of lard. This doesn't work well if you eat burgers a lot, but we mostly eat tacos, chili and spaghetti w/ meat sauce.

FWIW, a little more time taken to butcher, but trimming off and discarding the tendons and fascia makes grinding much easier.......

Thanks for all the responses! I went to the meat market and got some beef cod fat and went 20% of that with my scraps. The result looks beautiful although I haven’t tried any yet— we made heart and backstrap crostinis for the celebratory meal :) nom nom. I slice and toast a baguette and throw on goat cheese, green onion, and top with the pan fried meat. I highly recommend it

onpoint,Im with you on taking time to butcher correctly.I make summer sausage out of Javelina trimming and discarding any tendons/unwanted facia haeps alot in the grinding and processing.I tell my family if you find a piece of hair or bone in your meat,That just shows its the real deal!:cool:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back