Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grinding Pronghorn

FWIW, a little more time taken to butcher, but trimming off and discarding the tendons and fascia makes grinding much easier.......

Yes, this is a big part of it for us. We clean up the meat really well. We do not add any fat to it. Award winning tacos. :)

I grind it as is. I cube it so the grinder does not get clogged by connective tissue. When I cook it, I add a dallop of lard. This doesn't work well if you eat burgers a lot, but we mostly eat tacos, chili and spaghetti w/ meat sauce.

Yep, lard is what I use as well. Very stable for storage and easy to use. I pre cook a lot of meat in large batches and bag in 1 pound packs for easy use, tonight it was spaghetti. I mix in fresh home grown herbs for the spaghetti when I brown. I also do a mexican with taco seasoning, onions, and some home grown peppers. That is great on nachos, tacos, etc... Sounds very similar to what you do.

I killed my little Cabelas grinder last week on some partially frozen meat. Ran across a guy on e-bay selling the brand new Weston 32 grinders at NR, ended up getting one for $300. I can't wait to use it as the videos make it appear to be an absolute beast, one was feeding just deer ribs and it was powering right through it. I have been cubing my meat but I think this is going to minimize the prep time necessary.

I still cut out anything that has a lot of sliver skin, tendons, etc as my dog/cats eat all the trim. I freeze it in small ziplock sandwich bags. My dog stands out in front of the freezer every morning waiting for her meat.

Next up is a batch of summer sausage with jalapeno, chilis, cheese, and mustard seed. Hopefully have an elk to try this with soon.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back