Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Keeping Track - Bonus & Preference Points

dragginwood

Hey Folks,

I've been searching around on the topic of record keeping for acquired points and haven't seen anything discussing record keeping specifically.. This could be a dumb question to many of you, but what the hell..I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

With so many states and species it is difficult to keep track of accrued preference/bonus points. Additionally, if I'm not mistaken there are also some states that if you miss a year you go back to zero.. As if both of those were not enough, I have a new addition to the family which I plan to begin securing points. I am curious what tools/tactics you gents and ladies use to keep an eye on your 'piggy bank(s)'.

Was thinking about buying a few abaci, but not sure the wife would go for a wall full of ancient ledgers..

I have a spreadsheet I've posted on here before. I keep all data relevant to the draw on it. It has grown as needed.

Screenshot:
20181005_104813.jpg

Thanks for sharing this 406. I had something similar, but not as clean and concise. Hope you don't have a copywrite on this spreadsheet! ;)

I have something similar.

I also keep track of the units I apply for on each tag. That helps when I'm in a rush to meet a deadline and don't have the time to research everything out. I can spend just a few minutes to double check the units I applied for the previous year and apply for them again for the current year.

Mine also has a column for refundable and nonrefundable costs for each application. If you focus on the nonrefundable costs the cost of applying aren't near as bad. Of course there seems to be a switch in a lot of states not requiring the up front payment of the license cost anymore so it is getting to where you don't need quite the war chest to be able to apply everywhere anymore.

I keep a file in my file cabinet and in my email. Receipts, draw supplements, unit info and so forth. I have a file for each state I apply in: Ak, AZ, CO, WY. If I apply for more then 1 species I have a subfolder for each species within the state folder. Looking at 406's spreadsheet makes me wish I was that organized.

I use a notebook with tab dividers for each state. Then each state is broken down by species. I have a folder that I keep hard copies of receipts in just in case I ever need to prove my points (in the unlikely event a fish and game department experiences a computer crash ��).

I also keep track of the units I apply for on each tag. That helps when I'm in a rush to meet a deadline and don't have the time to research everything out. I can spend just a few minutes to double check the units I applied for the previous year and apply for them again for the current year.

I also do this under notes, but a summary. My research for each species is stored somewhere else.

Here is link you can copy the spreadsheet if you'd like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ucv6ow_KdHMtOHVy6224-nOWJf0TOLeNvQs8fcrjBec/edit?usp=sharing

hunting spreadsheet.jpg

Here is my spreadsheet. I keep a tab for each year. At the start of application season I just copy it to a new tab and start over.

(I edited it to try to make it easier to read. I hid all the columns for choices to make it larger but I have some for each choice)

I'm not always the best at updating the results date and when I receive my refund.

It works pretty good for me. Pretty easy to keep up with as well.

Attachments

• hunting spreadsheet.jpg
    hunting spreadsheet.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear