Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Default Light sleeping bag bivy

    Hey guys I run a Nemo disco 15 down bag and I'm looking for a outer bivy to help with moisture. Any recommendation would be helpful as I have never ran a bivy sack.....

  2. Default

    What pad are you running?
    Some bivies like ti goat dont accommodate thick pads well.
    Borah gear is what I have and really like.
    If you want one that can serve as a stand alone shelter something like the Outdoor Research helium would be good.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Socialist Republic of Kalistan
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I have an OR advanced bivy I need to sell, it is too big for my frame, but it works great for that purpose. I also have a cheaper one that I often use when I am truck hunting and just toss a cot next to the truck to keep condensation off my bag, it is kryptek but it is nice.

    The ti goat ones look nice and light with nice features to keep from wearing holes in them, but I have gone to a super light 2man tent as my solo backcountry housing, having the extra space is nice, and doesn't weigh much more actually these days.

  4. #4

    Default

    I use a military issue vortex bivy. Its not light, weighing about 2 pounds, but it was only $40 from a surplus store
    And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" - John Muir

  5. #5

    Default

    That's should be *Gortex
    And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" - John Muir

  6. Default

    Shoot me a text with some pictures 209 329 4017

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner260 View Post
    What pad are you running?
    Some bivies like ti goat dont accommodate thick pads well.
    Borah gear is what I have and really like.
    If you want one that can serve as a stand alone shelter something like the Outdoor Research helium would be good.
    I have a 13 oz event material from borah I don't think they make anymore. The current ones you would be sure to use under a tarp as the top is only water resistant. This one is less than $100 and 6oz. You really want to be under a tarp anyways as you need an air hole in the least and the rain will get in. Plus the pitter patter of the rain directIy on the bivvy is annoying. I have used mine a lot. Happy. Better deal than the commercialized brand names.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejeep View Post
    I use a military issue vortex bivy. Its not light, weighing about 2 pounds, but it was only $40 from a surplus store
    I slept many nights in an issue goretex bivvy. They are what made me believe they work. But I used mine in summer temps when they are less likely to condensate which I hear can be awfully bad with these.

  9. #9

    Default

    I've used mine down to temps below freezing and never experienced any condensation. I was even caught in a horrible rain storm on one hunt and spent the night all enclosed up after our tarp came undone, breathing inside the bivy while all sealed. Never had a condensation issue. I'm not saying that everyone will have the same experience, but I have yet to have an issue
    And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" - John Muir

  10. Default

    +1 on the mill surplus bivy. Never had condensation issues, side entry, snap or zipper closers in case you get into a fire fight in the night, and tougher than woodpecker lips. Plus a lot of folks don't like #bivylife, so it's a cheap option to try out and see how you like it. Also, I like to run it with a 5'x7' tarp to keep gear dry and have a dry place to stage.

  11. #11

    Default

    I do get some condensation even in my Event bivvy. I think it's supposed to be the worst from 30-50 degrees. Common complaint with bivvies.

    As far as the surplus you would give up most of one advantage--compact and lightweight. But you would retain the advantage of being easy to pitch. Some sort of bivvy would be my first choice if I was climbing into steep mountains or foothills. When my brother and I hiked up into a fall bear hunt, he had a hard time pitching even his tarp tent. I pitched my bivvy squeezed between boulders or up against a bush keeping me from sliding downhill.

    But in my low land bear hunt this spring I would have been more comfortable in a one man tent. Plenty of room to pitch a cabin if you wanted!

  12. Default

    What about something like a Kuiu Ultra Star? I know there are condensation issues but I would think these issues would be present in a bivvy as well? I like the idea of having some head room as well as a vestibule for gear.

  13. #13

    Default

    Will you be running this bivy inside of a tent or all on it's own? I just got a SOL Bivvy lite to help with condensation on my down bag, but will be running inside of a tent. It's supposed to be breathable and water resistant so we'll see. I think it's 6 oz and rolls up pretty small. Hopefully it will provide a little heat too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    5,047

    Default

    Moisture management on down is best without a bivy, IMO.

    OR helium bivy is what I have, but also looked at the Ti Goat versions. Went with the OR version due to it being waterproof.
    "No Kuiu here"

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Moisture management on down is best without a bivy, IMO.

    OR helium bivy is what I have, but also looked at the Ti Goat versions. Went with the OR version due to it being waterproof.
    Yeah, if your point is to reduce condensation then it wouldn't make as much sense.

    But if you were worried about your feet slidding out of your tarp or tarp tent that's when it would make sense. A water resistant bivvy would help but not as much as a waterproof like mine.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MVRK28 View Post
    What about something like a Kuiu Ultra Star? I know there are condensation issues but I would think these issues would be present in a bivvy as well? I like the idea of having some head room as well as a vestibule for gear.
    I looked this up. Have you used it? In high winds?

    Seems like a compromise like anything. 18 oz seems good but that's without stakes and assumes you use trekking poles instead of the carbon fiber pole. My tarp bivvy setup is similar. My standard but sturdy 1p tent is heavier.

    My tarp bivvy setup probably condensates much less because I breathe into the open air instead of into a tent. My 1P probably also condensate less because it has two walls. The YouTube reviews for the KUIU complain a lot about condensation.

    My tarp bivvy is much more versatile to setup especially since I can use the bivvy only. The tarp can be setup in any configuration as terrain and weather requires. This is clearly not the case with this KUIU but not the case with my standard 1 p either.

    My 1p appears to be much more sturdy for bad weather. While my tarp is not, even if I lose my tarp, I still have my waterproof bivvy. Lose your ultralight KUIU tent and you're SOL.

    The advantage would be you get complete enclosure unlike the tarp bivvy at a lighter weight than my standard two wall 1 p.
    Last edited by shaffe48; 10-11-2018 at 08:01 AM.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    I looked this up. Have you used it? In high winds?

    Seems like a compromise like anything. 18 oz seems good but that's without stakes and assumes you use trekking poles instead of the carbon fiber pole. My tarp bivvy setup is similar. My standard but sturdy 1p tent is heavier.

    My tarp bivvy setup probably condensates much less because I breathe into the open air instead of into a tent. My 1P probably also condensate less because it has two walls. The YouTube reviews for the KUIU complain a lot about condensation.

    My tarp bivvy is much more versatile to setup especially since I can use the bivvy only. The tarp can be setup in any configuration as terrain and weather requires. This is clearly not the case with this KUIU but not the case with my standard 1 p either.

    My 1p appears to be much more sturdy for bad weather. While my tarp is not, even if I lose my tarp, I still have my waterproof bivvy. Lose your ultralight KUIU tent and you're SOL.

    The advantage would be you get complete enclosure unlike the tarp bivvy at a lighter weight than my standard two wall 1 p.
    I have not used it, I'm seriously considering one. I have heard a lot about the condensation issues and it's probably the only reason I haven't picked one up yet. I'm thinking of it more for scouting and warmer weather stuff. I have a 2P that I pack for colder stuff but it too is fairly heavy. I do use trekking poles so no issues there.I'm trying to build a setup for a 2200 ci bag for scouting weekends.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •