PEAX Equipment

Bear Attack Victim Video. WOW

PrairieHunter

With all the recent bear attacks and fatalities I have been keeping an eye on griz stories and I thought you might find this video interesting. One thing I am noticing is that in many of these cases bear spray was used, but not effective.
[video=youtube;VW668E21_h0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW668E21_h0[/video]

One thing I am noticing is that in many of these cases bear spray was used, but not effective.
I recommend you study and analyze that a bit more before you jump on the big bore sidearm - throw-the-bear-spray-away bandwagon.

Believing in bear after being attacked when a bear ran directly through it to get to you.......hhhmmmm.........he was incredibly lucky, ESPECIALLY the second time. He has definitely earned the right to let his choice be known but having been an LEO and watched MANY people walk through pepper spray (much the same way this bear did) I'll stay with a side arm. Rather take my chances with 10-15 rounds than be a spicy entree, thanks.

I recommend you study and analyze that a bit more before you jump on the big bore sidearm - throw-the-bear-spray-away bandwagon.

The only jumping here is you to conclusions. I don't recall mentioning sidearms or throwing away bear spray.

Read my statement again real carefully. I simply noted that in recent cases bear spray was not effective. Which is a fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Only person to mention sidearms or throwing away bear spray was you. Where did you come up with all that?

Listening to Todd tell his story on several venues (including the Randy Newberg Unfiltered episode referenced above), I would say Todd says the bear spray DID work. He survived to tell the tale.

Where did you come up with all that?
The effectiveness of bear spray is a well worn, almost trite topic on this forum. And with a statement such as you made, what typically and consistently has followed is a series of opinions about the best firearm in bear country, even the idea of using marine flares to provide lighting and deterrent during a bear incident. From your assertion that "in many cases" bear spray was not effective it was expected you would come up with some other deterrent / mitigation.

I'm sorry if you were merely intent on making an assertion that bear spray is not effective in "many cases" ... but if that is the extent and end of your point of this thread, I'd be surprised.

I watched a video today of a black bear breaking in to several vehicles and rummaging thru trash and food At a construction site in Montana. A security guard approached and used a air horn several times to try and deter the bear which ignored him. Next he sprayed the bear directly in the face with what appeared to be a can of bear spray. Looked like it had little to no effect on the bear and it went on to jump in the back of another truck before wandering off. Not sure what brand he was using but it was not reassuring at all given it was just a little black bear.

The effectiveness of bear spray is a well worn, almost trite topic on this forum. And with a statement such as you made, what typically and consistently has followed is a series of opinions about the best firearm in bear country, even the idea of using marine flares to provide lighting and deterrent during a bear incident. From your assertion that "in many cases" bear spray was not effective it was expected you would come up with some other deterrent / mitigation.

I'm sorry if you were merely intent on making an assertion that bear spray is not effective in "many cases" ... but if that is the extent and end of your point of this thread, I'd be surprised.

The video was released yesterday so I shared it. Nothing more, nothing less. Since the fatality in Wyoming I have started following these attacks and this video was really raw and quite intense for lack of a better word.

After all that I have read and seen lately I am not even remotely interested in hunting in Griz country. I'll leave that to others who want to venture into those areas.

Out of curiosity what do you think "is the extend and end of my point in this thread"? And why would that surprise you?

Statements like that make you sound more paranoid and crazy than an X girlfriend.

I watched a video today of a black bear breaking in to several vehicles and rummaging thru trash and food At a construction site in Montana. A security guard approached and used a air horn several times to try and deter the bear which ignored him. Next he sprayed the bear directly in the face with what appeared to be a can of bear spray. Looked like it had little to no effect on the bear and it went on to jump in the back of another truck before wandering off. Not sure what brand he was using but it was not reassuring at all given it was just a little black bear.

Some of those black bears seem to get pretty oblivious to people. This one just recently is certainly not afraid. Crazy how many times it did this.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...keeps-getting-into-stanley-hotel/73-599241160

Another interesting statistic.

As of Friday, 48 grizzly bears were known to have died or have been killed in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem this year, according to the U.S. Geological Survey; 34 of those were human-caused deaths — mostly “removals” of grizzlies that attacked livestock or people and were euthanized.

And why would that surprise you?
That was clearly explained in the statement, "what typically and consistently has followed is a series of opinions about the best firearm in bear country, "

I apologize for assuming you were going to follow the same trend. However, I do recommend you read and analyze more thoroughly and express more clearly on topic ... rather than throw out personal insults to someone you don't know at all.

BTW, the information you have presented regarding grizzlies is interesting and worth considering for outdoorsmen. But be aware that the Todd Orr video is really old, not yesterday.

With all the recent bear attacks and fatalities I have been keeping an eye on griz stories and I thought you might find this video interesting. One thing I am noticing is that in many of these cases bear spray was used, but not effective.
[video=youtube;VW668E21_h0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW668E21_h0[/video]

That's Todd Orr, who still believes in bear spray. Randy did a podcast with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z62Qfw2UmlE

The interview posted above with Todd Ore is super interesting when it comes to the pistol vs bear spray conversation. Todd does all of his hunting with a handgun and has taken over 20 bulls with a pistol. He also works through the warm months as a trail engineer; therefore, spends a ton of time in grizzly country. As BA as Todd is with a pistol he carries bear spray and used it successfully the first time the bear attacked. I learned a lot from the podcast and have passed it along to several people. I have also been dreaming of a set of Todd Ore custom steak knives, but dont know if I will ever be able to justify paying that much.

Based on the study someone posted above and used the ever exhausting supporting argument "science", the bear spray was in fact about 80% effective. They report it as higher ("92% effective by our definition of success") but it is a little misleading when factoring in all the numbers and actual incidents of their sample size. However, that is pretty good though! With a defense like bear spray AND/OR a gun, being aware of your surroundings as best as possible is best measure in my opinion.

I only make the snide comment about science because I have people always argue subjects with my area of work and say it is because of "science" yet don't even know what that means. Not likely to change a gun person to a spray person or vice versa based on articles or studies. In my opinion, the really good studies show all the ways they tried to prove a theory wrong as a way of generating their supporting evidence. Another interesting fact is that Todd, although being adept with a pistol, went to spray first. I have both pistol and spray on me and hope I never use either. I am not an expert and only have two encounters where I was even close to a bear. I had spray but didn't have to use it either time. Note again, these are my opinions.

"Science" bad.
Opinion cool.

Disclaimer: have plenty of qualified complaints about science.................................................................

Most Bear attacks are caused by a startled bear. Bears have a very strong sense of smell. Logically, if you startle a bear there’s a good chance wind is not favorable for using spray. In a light breeze that doesn’t matter. In several places with a lot of bears - In the paradise valley, the absarokas/Beartooth and the Rocky Mountain Front the wind will blow 10-30 and more every day until bears go into hibernation. Good like with that spray.

I carry spray, not because I have much faith in it but because a 44 mag is heavy.
I try to be alert enough that it hopefully won’t come to that.
I’ve always known that if you spend enough time in griz country at least getting bluff charged is inevitable. It happened last year to me in northern Canada, and I felt pretty good beading down on his head with a 45-70 Govt in the whipping wind.

That was clearly explained in the statement, "what typically and consistently has followed is a series of opinions about the best firearm in bear country, "

I apologize for assuming you were going to follow the same trend. However, I do recommend you read and analyze more thoroughly and express more clearly on topic ... rather than throw out personal insults to someone you don't know at all.

BTW, the information you have presented regarding grizzlies is interesting and worth considering for outdoorsmen. But be aware that the Todd Orr video is really old, not yesterday.

I don't need to do anything here. You jumped to all sorts of conclusions and paranoia based off of absolutely nothing. I never said anything about which was a better choice, I prefer to let people make those decisions than to try to tell others what to do. Maybe you should try that, it might save you some trouble in situations like this.

The issue here appears that you don't like people having different opinions than you do when it comes to spray vs gun.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back