Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

AZ hunter education bonus point

Well 3 classes opened up for 36 more seats. I checked it at 6 am central and there were only 12 left. I reserved the Wife and I for the class. I just check and they are all full. Congrats to all those who got in, we will see you down there.

What is the difference between the bonus point field day and online course field day? It looks like the online course is the same for both. Do you get the bonus point if you take either course?

To get your Arizona hunter safety bonus point, as a non-resident to Arizona, you MUST travel to Arizona and take the one-day supplemental course in person (you must already hold a current hunter safety card for your state). For specific answers to your questions, call Arizona G&F Dept.: (602)942-3000 ...

In lieu of introducing myself properly with a Who Am I thread, Don's March 30 class has just been posted:

https://www.register-ed.com/events/view/137683

You heard it here first. Thanks always, Randy!

See you there

D

0 of 30 seats left. Is this the only guy that does it? Same story as the last three times, can I get on a mailing list or get in the draw system to get into this class? How many bonus points before I can draw the class for the bonus point? Geeze.

Last edited:
0 of 30 seats left. Is this the only guy that does it? Same story as the last three times, can I get on a mailing list or get in the draw system to get into this class? How many bonus points before I can draw the class for the bonus point? Geeze.

There is also the option of doing the online exam, once you have passed the online you then have 1 year to also complete a field day class somewhere in Arizona to officially get your card and permanent bonus point. There is usually a few field days each month, posted on the game and fish site that you can get scheduled for. They continually update the list as new classes are released, but they usually fill up quickly, especially before the draw... Don's class isn't the only way to do it...

https://www.register-ed.com/programs/arizona/113-arizona-hunter-education-online-field-day?

There is also the option of doing the online exam, once you have passed the online you then have 1 year to also complete a field day class somewhere in Arizona to officially get your card and permanent bonus point. There is usually a few field days each month, posted on the game and fish site that you can get scheduled for. They continually update the list as new classes are released, but they usually fill up quickly, especially before the draw... Don's class isn't the only way to do it...

https://www.register-ed.com/programs/arizona/113-arizona-hunter-education-online-field-day?

I just finished this up today in Phoenix. For those of you thinking about taking it this way here are a few pointers.

Pay attention to the material when you do the online portion, refresh yourself self before you start the hands on.

Remember that this is based off from your average 12 year old thought process, don’t over think the questions or scenarios.

They are not there for instruction and they do fail people. I watched two get the walk of shame today.

It is a good program and the volunteers who run it are a bunch of good guys. I would recommend it.

Last edited:

True, it's frustrating not to be able to sign up for a notification. If I recall correctly, an AZ hunters ed hotline message states that courses are updated on their website every Tuesday.

I just finished this up today in Phoenix. For those of you thinking about taking it this way here are a few pointers.

Pay attention to the material when you do the online portion, refresh yourself self before you start the hands on.

Remember that this is based off from your average 12 year old thought process, don’t over think the questions or scenarios.

They are not there for instruction and they do fail people. I watched two get the walk of shame today.

It is a good program and the volunteers who run it are a bunch of good guys. I would recommend it.

I'm guessing I was chatting with you by the bleachers when we were waiting to shoot. Either that or another guy from Michigan was there. I was getting ready to ask around if there were any Hunttalkers there.

Another tidbit to help get in a class. Even if it says full and not taking backup lists anymore, find the instructors email and ask him if there is room. I lucked out and he let me in one that was already full.
good luck.

Yep, that was me. It was kinda funny, after you went and shot the guys that came up next was talking about his short term, mid term,and long term strategy for hunting elk every Year. Think he listened to Randy a few times.

There are other courses offered. This link: https://www.register-ed.com/programs/arizona/143-arizona-bonus-point-field-day
has 3 classes, all are full, and they are only 1.5 hours long. The other course that Don is running is an entire day. I called Jim Rich who is putting on the short courses to see if he knew of any courses coming up in May, when I will be there for vacation, and they don't schedule out that far in advance, you just need to regularly check the website for new class offerings.

I took the online course and field test last year. It was offered at the Outdoor Expo at Ben Avery Shooting Complex run by AZGFD. The Expo is March 30 and 31 this year but I don't see those dates on hunter ed. I remember last year they were listed at a different spot or popped up last minute. Worth trying to find more info if it fits your schedule.

This was a field test only for experienced hunters. Had to take a written test again after the online, then practical application questions, and weapons handling. Less than an hour total and I got to enjoy the day at the expo.

Hunter ed bonus points were posted right before deer draw.

For anybody attending the bonus point field day today, there is an enormous Sportsmens Expo at Ben Avery shooting facility, and your field course is inside the expo. Do not, do not, do not let the employees there direct you to the far east side of the range, because that is where the all day on hunters education for children is taking place and it is not where you want to go. Ignore the signage directing you toward ‘hunters education’ and go to the expo.
It is about a mile away from the ‘hunters ed’ If you end up over there, at hunters Ed, just walk. There are thousands of people.
When I came it was about 40 minutes from I-17 to the shooting range, which is about 2 miles.
It would have been nice to know all this, this morning. Seems like this huge even would have been pertinent information to include in the sign up or email.
Hopefully this post can help someone that’s coming this afternoon.

Of course, if I would have red LASportsman’s post above I would have known about the expo.

Last edited:
After taking Don's day-long nonresident Bonus Point course, I'd say that while it was cool and Don's a good, entertaining guy, I can't say that I learned much and I didn't find it worth the effort to plan a whole trip around it. Therefore, I would recommend doing the online course and Field Day instead, which seems to have more location and timing options. Take whichever route gets you done the fastest with the least messing around.

Back