Caribou Gear

Getting "stuff" to try and help or extend your hunting life span

SFC B

Some of you may know that thanks to 21 years in the military I have a fair number of nagging aches and pains. This year a couple of those along with a little extra scratch have led me to 2 specific purchases that I hope will help me get around and hunt a little more efficiently. First I bought the bullet on some Miendl Perfekt Extremes to nurse the feet and ankles some. Next, just yesterday, I sent off for a Kifaru gun bearer in order to allow me to actually use the trekking poles I already have. What have you done or what are your suggestions?

I think a pack that fits you well and that carries loads ergonomically (meat shelf) definitely helps.

Check this out. The Dr's said the great condition my Dad is in, literally saved his life from a serious cardiovascular issue a few years ago. My dad has been following this book for over a decade. He bought all of his kids and siblings a copy after that episode that kills over 75% of the people it happens to. You have to keep up the maintenance.

https://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Year-Strong-Beyond/dp/076114773X

I reduced my stress by 70%, by retiring from fulltime work to part time. Which did not prevent me from pulling a hamstring during a Sept. hunt. I was damn glad for trekking poles after that.

This might be a little different that what you are looking for, but as a former college basketball player I am always worried about joint health (in particular, my knees) so I bought a bicycle for training instead of running. I really liked running and did it for several years ,but my joints feel so much better since I moved over to cycling. I prefer a mountain bike but have been relegated to the road for the last year.

I have also moved to using trekking poles more and being careful to decrease impact on joint in all aspects of life.

This might be a little different that what you are looking for, but as a former college basketball player I am always worried about joint health (in particular, my knees) so I bought a bicycle for training instead of running. I really liked running and did it for several years ,but my joints feel so much better since I moved over to cycling. I prefer a mountain bike but have been relegated to the road for the last year.

I have also moved to using trekking poles more and being careful to decrease impact on joint in all aspects of life.

+1 on the cycling. It has helped my knees tremendously. Just make sure you get a professional to set up the bike so it fits you correctly.

^^^if the book is about diet and exercise it is spot on.

100% agree with this, My wife is a fitness coach and has a nutrition certification. Eating clean whole foods and adding some resistance and cardio training will make your life easier.

A lot of it is simply genetics and luck. But eating a half way decent diet and exercise goes a long ways. There are no magic "pills". Clean livin, whatever. just go do it! I'm 72 and just finished guiding for a month and got an archery bull on my day off. Realize I am lucky to be doing physically well, but also gotta think it and

The piece of equipment that helped me has been sorbothane insoles in my trainers, they really helped my achilles tendon.

I agree, exercise and a healthy diet, although there always is the bad luck factor, like the 2 guys last week in a 1/2 marathon not far from me, in their 30's, crossed the line and both died of heart attacks.

I found out last year, just how well trekking poles can help on steep terrain. I just retired recently after 21 years in the military myself, after two shoulder surgeries and a back surgery, it's hard to do the things I did just two years ago. I am still running (somewhat), but not to the extent I used to. I declined ankle surgery so I could retire on time back in the spring, but some days, I wish I would have gone ahead and done it.

I switched to a strong diet of you tube with Randy Newberg. Let’s me enjoy the outdoors and I’m barely winded after each hunt.

Synvisk injections in my knee and steroids in my shoulder to prolong getting surgeries as long as possible. Dropping 75 pounds so far has helped too. But, I found the Bass Pro Shop big sportsman XL cot has helped a lot giving a good night's sleep to recover a bit from the day with a couple of sleeping pads. A good night's sleep after a few adult beverages is great for the soul. I also tow a trailer with a generator and freezer now for added convenience and storage of food and meat.

Last edited:
64 this year and I've not been without the issues that come with the age....joints, muscle aches, knee pains, could stand to lose some lbs....sh***y eyesight.....plus I like me some beers and can't put down the fork when I know better.

Not a great combo for one who has decided late in the game to become a backpack diy hunter.

On the plus side, I'm hard-headed, have been in great shape in the past and have always loved the outdoors.

I won't name the fitness program coz I don't want to start anything up, but I joined a gym that does lots of crazy @$$ workouts featuring all sorts of weird movements and, you know it, I'm feeling better than I have in years.

I'm even running again, which I'd all but given up on due to knee pain. I'm pretty confident now that I can ruck at altitude now which, frankly, had me pretty worried a few months back.

So, my suggestion? Find the hardest physical exercise you can manage and jump in with both feet. Nothing to lose, except feeling poorly.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country :)

I applied my education to myself for the first time. I write year long, periodized training programs for my athletes. I never sit down and write a proper program for myself.
Last winter I wrote a year long, periodized program for this hunting season. I used this seasons deer opener as as the event like I would use a big race for one of my athletes.
So far it's been working out great.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back