Default Getting "stuff" to try and help or extend your hunting life span

Some of you may know that thanks to 21 years in the military I have a fair number of nagging aches and pains. This year a couple of those along with a little extra scratch have led me to 2 specific purchases that I hope will help me get around and hunt a little more efficiently. First I bought the bullet on some Miendl Perfekt Extremes to nurse the feet and ankles some. Next, just yesterday, I sent off for a Kifaru gun bearer in order to allow me to actually use the trekking poles I already have. What have you done or what are your suggestions?
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

I think a pack that fits you well and that carries loads ergonomically (meat shelf) definitely helps.

Check this out. The Dr's said the great condition my Dad is in, literally saved his life from a serious cardiovascular issue a few years ago. My dad has been following this book for over a decade. He bought all of his kids and siblings a copy after that episode that kills over 75% of the people it happens to. You have to keep up the maintenance.

https://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-.../dp/076114773X
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

^^^if the book is about diet and exercise it is spot on.

I reduced my stress by 70%, by retiring from fulltime work to part time. Which did not prevent me from pulling a hamstring during a Sept. hunt. I was damn glad for trekking poles after that.

This might be a little different that what you are looking for, but as a former college basketball player I am always worried about joint health (in particular, my knees) so I bought a bicycle for training instead of running. I really liked running and did it for several years ,but my joints feel so much better since I moved over to cycling. I prefer a mountain bike but have been relegated to the road for the last year.

I have also moved to using trekking poles more and being careful to decrease impact on joint in all aspects of life.

At 62 and a 29 year old hunting partner I found Flexeril and Hydrocodone 325's work well.

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    All about health living, and building habits/lifestyle that will lead you to being healthier.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    At 62 and a 29 year old hunting partner I found Flexeril and Hydrocodone 325's work well.
    And Ranger Candy! 800mg Motrin, the 3 of us ate a half a bottle last week!

Quote Originally Posted by Addicting View Post
    Yeah, they switched me to Celebrex this due to old Arty this year.....I am a lil nostalgic about my old 800s at this point
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

Quote Originally Posted by utahminer View Post
    This might be a little different that what you are looking for, but as a former college basketball player I am always worried about joint health (in particular, my knees) so I bought a bicycle for training instead of running. I really liked running and did it for several years ,but my joints feel so much better since I moved over to cycling. I prefer a mountain bike but have been relegated to the road for the last year.

I have also moved to using trekking poles more and being careful to decrease impact on joint in all aspects of life.
    +1 on the cycling. It has helped my knees tremendously. Just make sure you get a professional to set up the bike so it fits you correctly.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    100% agree with this, My wife is a fitness coach and has a nutrition certification. Eating clean whole foods and adding some resistance and cardio training will make your life easier.

A lot of it is simply genetics and luck. But eating a half way decent diet and exercise goes a long ways. There are no magic "pills". Clean livin, whatever. just go do it! I'm 72 and just finished guiding for a month and got an archery bull on my day off. Realize I am lucky to be doing physically well, but also gotta think it and

Quote Originally Posted by Addicting View Post
    sooooo many jokes about this while i was in USMC...go see the doc...doesn't matter the problem, you're getting 800mg!

The piece of equipment that helped me has been sorbothane insoles in my trainers, they really helped my achilles tendon.

I agree, exercise and a healthy diet, although there always is the bad luck factor, like the 2 guys last week in a 1/2 marathon not far from me, in their 30's, crossed the line and both died of heart attacks.
    That's what the actress said to the bishop

16. Default

I found out last year, just how well trekking poles can help on steep terrain. I just retired recently after 21 years in the military myself, after two shoulder surgeries and a back surgery, it's hard to do the things I did just two years ago. I am still running (somewhat), but not to the extent I used to. I declined ankle surgery so I could retire on time back in the spring, but some days, I wish I would have gone ahead and done it.

17. Default

I switched to a strong diet of you tube with Randy Newberg. Let’s me enjoy the outdoors and I’m barely winded after each hunt.
    "Only be strong and very courageous"
    Joshua 1:7

Synvisk injections in my knee and steroids in my shoulder to prolong getting surgeries as long as possible. Dropping 75 pounds so far has helped too. But, I found the Bass Pro Shop big sportsman XL cot has helped a lot giving a good night's sleep to recover a bit from the day with a couple of sleeping pads. A good night's sleep after a few adult beverages is great for the soul. I also tow a trailer with a generator and freezer now for added convenience and storage of food and meat.
    Last edited by JohnCushman; 10-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!! Taking 2018 off

64 this year and I've not been without the issues that come with the age....joints, muscle aches, knee pains, could stand to lose some lbs....sh***y eyesight.....plus I like me some beers and can't put down the fork when I know better.

Not a great combo for one who has decided late in the game to become a backpack diy hunter.

On the plus side, I'm hard-headed, have been in great shape in the past and have always loved the outdoors.

I won't name the fitness program coz I don't want to start anything up, but I joined a gym that does lots of crazy @$$ workouts featuring all sorts of weird movements and, you know it, I'm feeling better than I have in years.

I'm even running again, which I'd all but given up on due to knee pain. I'm pretty confident now that I can ruck at altitude now which, frankly, had me pretty worried a few months back.

So, my suggestion? Find the hardest physical exercise you can manage and jump in with both feet. Nothing to lose, except feeling poorly.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country

I applied my education to myself for the first time. I write year long, periodized training programs for my athletes. I never sit down and write a proper program for myself.
    Last winter I wrote a year long, periodized program for this hunting season. I used this seasons deer opener as as the event like I would use a big race for one of my athletes.
    So far it's been working out great.
    "Any fool can create a program that is so demanding that it would virtually kill the toughest Marine or hardiest of elite athletes, but not any fool can create a tough program that produces progress without unnecessary pain.” ~ Dr. Mel C. Siff

At 65 I was wondering how many more years I could hunt at 9,000 feet during the third season in NW Colorado. I was slipping, tore up a knee and was generally having a miserable time. (If that's possible doing what you love.) Then I watched one of Randy's shows and saw him with those trekking polls and said why not. Got a nice set and was truly surprise at how much better and easier hunting had gotten. Then I decided to upgrade an older backpack to newer lighter one that fits me right. Added binocular case and rifle sling and was shocked how much easier hunting was. Then I decided to make camp better. I got rid of my outfitter tent and went to a Cabela's six man Instinct Tent and ex large cot. Then added a 4" memory foam mattress, Honda 2000i generator, top quality coolers and I am ready for the next day. The biggest thing I have done, at 70, to extend my hunting time, is I got with a local outfitter from the area I hunt and worked out an arrangement where they will go get my elk when one is down. I skin it, bag it and use my two way radio to call in the coordinates. Worked perfect last year. Oh, I also carry an PLB just in case of emergencies. Adds to piece of mind. I hope everyone has a great hunting season for many years to come.

Blog Entries

Get one (or more) of these, hunt behind her all day - back and forth across this drainage about 8 times. It'll help your cardio, aerobics, quads, mental well being. No trekking poles useful when wing shooting.
    Or maybe try Chukar.......
    Name:  2016.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  98.3 KB