Caribou Gear Tarp

Hang fire on a centerfire rifle?

I thought I had one yesterday whilst zeroing my rifle, click, so I kept the rifle pointed in a safe direction and waited, then had a thought, nope I hadn't chambered a round!
Cheers
Richard

Better at the range than when you are looking through the scope at a nice six point Montana bull in a couple of weeks!;)

If these are reloads(I assume they are) it could also be bad/wet powder. I know it's a slightly different animal, but I had similar problems with a rimfire last year. Ammo was roughly 10 years old(factory). I had several hang fires intermixed with rounds that shot fine. The hang fires would go off after several seconds, but when the empty case was ejected there was unburnt powder still in the case. The powder was clumped together like it had deteriorated or gotten wet. It culminated with a bullet getting lodged half way down the barrel, luckily I caught it before firing another shot. Threw that ammo out and bought a new box, no issues what so ever.

Yes I've had that issue...possibly a dirty or weak firing pin spring and hard primers. Many youtube videos on how to strip the bolt. Clean it first if that doesn't help then replace the spring. Cheap and easy

Use a stronger 32# spring if replacing the old one.

Didn't see anybody mention this, but if you uniformed the primer pockets and got a little carried away it's possible to seat the primers too deep. Learned this the hard way on my first doe antelope. Luckily, after waiting a minute, I was able to @#)(# the bold handle and she fired on the second shot.

At first I thought I had seated them too shallow, so they were absorbing the impacts, but I tested some other loads at the range and sure enough I ruined about 5 brass casings.

Lesson learned

Last edited:
Back