No More Offline High Resolution in OnX?

authentichunter

I was downloading maps for an upcoming hunt and noticed that the file size was much smaller than my previously downloaded maps. I did some tests and found that the "high resolution" images I was saving were more like medium resolution. I also compared the latest saved images with older saved images and found there was a clear reduction in the resolution of the most recently saved images.

I emailed OnX and was told that the highest resolution images are only available in the online mode. I was told that OnX's new satellite image provider will not allow the highest resolution images to be saved. I then did some more tests and found that there is no difference between the "high resolution" and "med resolution" options when saving images for offline use. If this is true, then what is the use of downloading "high resolution?" Why is the option even available?

Well that's too bad. The imagery was one of the better advantages of the app. They have not addressed the need to download to a chip instead of the phone memory either. Guess they are getting big.

To be honest this doesn't really surprise, as the app became more and more popular there had to be a limit somewhere. Thousands of people downloading that many image tiles has got to be taxing on their imagery vendors servers.

I noticed that not all roads show up on a downloaded map like they used to. Disappointing change to say the least.

"I then did some more tests and found that there is no difference between the "high resolution" and "med resolution" options when saving images for offline use. If this is true, then what is the use of downloading "high resolution?" Why is the option even available?"

I thought that glitch was fixed in one of their latest updates?

Last edited:
Really? Where is the setting for it? I talked to OnX and they told me you can't do it so I stopped looking.

I know of only one way to get onX imagery to an sd card on a phone and that's a rooted phone and a 3rd party app. Works great till I hit 5 gig then the app starts crashing. I did read somewhere that the latest droid os's were going to allow you to bypass the apps storage arrangements and let you save to the sd card. maybe that's the case now.

Last edited:
"I then did some more tests and found that there is no difference between the "high resolution" and "med resolution" options when saving images for offline use. If this is true, then what is the use of downloading "high resolution?" Why is the option even available?"

I thought that glitch was fixed in one of their latest updates?

It is still an issue for me, and I am using the current update.

I thought this was happening on a recent hunt, but it wasn't that important at the time. Now I know its true!

I've also been slightly annoyed at the inability to save to SD card. Must have something to do with the legal restrictions of the map tiles?

I've also been slightly annoyed at the inability to save to SD card. Must have something to do with the legal restrictions of the map tiles?

When I contacted them to ask they said it was because of the way the app worked/was coded. My guess is that they tried it and it was unstable across all install platforms and so they ditched it.

I found this out during elk hunt this year. Downloaded several high resolution maps but found they were definitely not. However, it showed necessary trails, waypoints etc so I was fine. Just a small disappointment is all. I have no concerns with available space on my phone so I just kind of download at will.

I wonder how recent these changes were. I was happy with the maps downloaded over labor day once I finally got them to download. I definitely had the highest resolution setting and this just covered less area. But now I have a new phone. I hope I can download the same maps.

It sure was nice when you used to just be able to download the maps that are visible on your screen, rather than a 5mi/10mi chunk. I find myself saving dozens of maps in preparation for each hunt, and they sometimes fail during downloading. All that being said, it's still the most important innovation in hunting in the last 20 years.

All that being said, it's still the most important innovation in hunting in the last 20 years.

Only because your time frame excludes Al Gore inventing the internet.

In all seriousness, OnX innovation is that it repackages readily available information in a more convenient format and markets to hunters. Given that their real benefit is convenience and given their multitude of direct competitors, I hope they improve the reliability and quality of the downloads.

I tried a competitor app and wasn't completely happy either in that it was hard to know if it was downloading correctly. I'm definitely using the OnX this season but now that I know my areas I will be downloading at home on my chair instead of in a McDonalds parking lot in the nearest one horse town.

I'm new to the onX situation, but the off line function certainly has had me scratching my head. It simply doesn't seem useful at all. Bear in mind I struggle with tech so I figured it was something I just hadn't figured out yet. I can't seem to save map sections to my phone that are detailed enough to really be much use when offline, which is generally the status when hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back