Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Barrel twist recommendations for 22-250

Ronin75

Looking for the correct barrel twist if I’m shooting 40-55 grain bullets. 22” barrel length. Thanks for the help

1-14" will stabilize any 40-55 grain bullet just fine. My Savage Predator has a 1-12" and I shoot the 69 grain Sierra Matchkings with no problems.

Except copper.

At .22-250 velocities, I'd try it. Barnes recommends 1-12" for their 55 grain TSX, but it should stabilize at higher velocity. The 69 grain Matchkings that I shoot are supposed to have a 1-10", but work great in my 1-12". Now at .223 velocities I wouldn't push the twist recs as hard.

At .22-250 velocities, I'd try it. Barnes recommends 1-12" for their 55 grain TSX, but it should stabilize at higher velocity. The 69 grain Matchkings that I shoot are supposed to have a 1-10", but work great in my 1-12". Now at .223 velocities I wouldn't push the twist recs as hard.

I tried it at max loads in a Ruger M77 and a Browning ABolt. The 55 gr. TTSX that actually hit the target went through sideways. The remaining got pulled.

The 45 gr. TTSX grouped like a 12 gauge.

I tried it at max loads in a Ruger M77 and a Browning ABolt. The 55 gr. TTSX that actually hit the target went through sideways. The remaining got pulled.

The 45 gr. TTSX grouped like a 12 gauge.

Well that’s not good! My .22-250 is the only rifle I have that will shoot the Barnes bullets really well (53 grain TSX). I’ve tried them in .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm-08, and .300 Win Mag with less than stellar results

Ok, I need to add that I am going to shoot lead free bullets since thats all I can shoot in Ca. The Remington action is getting a new Bartlein barrel. I'm not certain if lead free bullets will have an impact on what barrel twist I will need. Thanks for all the info guys, spending all this money to rebarrel this rifle I want to make sure I get the correct barrel.

Ok, I need to add that I am going to shoot lead free bullets since thats all I can shoot in Ca. The Remington action is getting a new Bartlein barrel. I'm not certain if lead free bullets will have an impact on what barrel twist I will need. Thanks for all the info guys, spending all this money to rebarrel this rifle I want to make sure I get the correct barrel.

Lead free bullets often recommend a faster twist for the same weight as their lead counterparts. If this is an aftermarket barrel you may as well opt for a faster twist than you think you may need. Barnes recommends a 1:10 for their 55 grain TTSX bullets. I would start there and maybe explore a 1:9 if you think you will be shooting more 55’s than 40’s.

Then get a fast twist (1:8) and shoot any bullet weight you want up to the heaviest .22 cal available. The 22-250 really shines throwing heavies (70gr+) down range.

+1^^
Get an 8 twist and you will be able to shoot any weight you want. Is this just a Varmint gun?

For the money your putting into the rebarrel I would contact both Barns and Bartlein for their recommendations . I'm assuming since Bobcats are a target your hunting for fur ? What size of exit hole are you going to be dealing with ? I'd hate to put a 3 or4 inch hole in a big money hide. I've never shot the barns bullets so these are just questions .

I've been really happy with the 53 grain TSX on coyotes. It seems to not open up very well, which leads to much smaller entry/exit holes, but puts them down much faster than a FMJ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back