Success in Wyoming area 64

djlax

My cousin and I were both successful in taking pronghorn bucks in Wyoming area 64. We arrived this past Saturday and as we turned down Bison Basin Road to access our area we saw pronghorn everywhere. We camped out right off Continental Divide trail. The first night was crystal clear, cold, and dead calm - just a solo coyote talking in the distance. Walking out of camp around first light, I bumped a group of ~8 that were bedded 50 yds from my tent. Before I could walk another 50 yds I realized the whole valley was covered in pronghorn, I was busted, but they seemed to ease off and hang out around the 400 / 500 yd range. I just posted up over the next 30 minutes and watched. A decent buck approached to about 300 yds and presented a broadside shot, but since I was about 1 hr into my first day, I decided to pass - plus 300 yds is my max comfortable shot. As the morning went on, I located and stalked several different herds and singles, eventually ending in a bust - but tons of fun. It's truly the most fun I've had hunting. Being from the southeast and stand hunting whitetail deer - spot and stalk is new for me. It's a fun and challenging experience and I can't wait to do it again.

I took my buck the following afternoon. I crept into a small draw and saw a single. I was posted up in a sage thicket, rifle on the tripod, waiting for a good shot and another buck approached from behind me. I was afraid to move/look for fear I would get busted by the one in front of me - they were both snorting at each other. The buck in front took off running dead at me, closing 450 yds to 200 yds in just a few seconds! Now my heart rate was about 150 and I was fumbling around like an idiot, the other buck sounded really really close in behind me and I knew I would be busted any minute. It all happened quick. The buck in front stopped broadside at 150 yds and I popped him, he bounded off on all fours and I thought maybe I missed - he didn't act hit. Just as I was about to pop him again, I saw him stumble - then the buck from behind me (a much bigger one) ran over and tried to fight the buck I shot! He collapsed and the big buck seemed pretty confused.

Probably the most fun I've ever had hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,108
I noticed that pronghorn skin is much thinner than whitetail - much easier to skin and quarter. I was surprised at how easy the hair comes out... I was pretty nervous trying to not screw up the cape. It was about 55 degrees when I shot the animal and it dropped to 32 during the night, so that helped in cooling the meat off. I had the meat on ice in coolers by 10 am the next day, but I haven't eaten any yet. I'm looking forward to it.

IMG_1298.jpg
This pack probably weighed 100 lbs. About killed me walking back to camp.

Congrats. That's not a bad buck at all for your first. If the other one was much bigger it must have been a really nice buck.

I forgot to mention that I shot this pronghorn with a Nosler match grade 140 gr - the exit wound is shown in the pic. I read lot's of discussions on the pro's vs con's of hunting with that type of bullet and eventually decided to use it because the rifle shot well with it. There was less damage around the exit wound than I normally see on deer. I'll probably shoot a late season whitetail with it and report back. I wouldn't hesitate to use that round again, but I'm eager to try out the Nosler Accubond 140 gr.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back