PEAX Equipment

Fly Fishing Waders for Waterfowl

stretch

Has anyone tried to make their fly fishing waders work for waterfowling? Just getting in to hunting and trying to avoid buying everything all at once. Wondering if I can make my fly fishing waders work for a hunting season or two with extra layers under. Only other thing I can think of is camo. The waders are light grey. Can cover up top with my camo puffy jacket. Is there an affordable way to pull camo over the legs or maybe just use brush/blind?

You should be totally fine... to be honest I got "waterfowl waders" just because they were cheaper than fishing ones. I wouldn't worry about them being camo.

You mean like this?
2018%20Gus%20Me%20and%20BW%20Teal.jpg

Yeah, I use my FF waders and they work just fine. The biggest problem will be cold later in the season. The camo issue is not a problem in my opinion. And I keep my layers inside the waders, or they will be wet for certain. I don't wear camo when I hunt anything except sometimes Turkeys.

I wear my Simms fishing waders for both with no problems. Just make sure your boots are not felt soles. They make for a heck of a walk in slick mud. Mine are some type of rubber lug sole and they work just fine. By the time they are wet and muddy, they are pretty camo anyway.

I've used breathable waders to fish in the winter on tailwaters and been able to stand in a river waving a stick for hours on end. Layering is the key here, as are some well placed hot hands/feet on the tops and bottoms of your toes. I like a merino wool base layer, with a polartec or super heavy fleece midlayer under the waders. For socks I'll use a good liner w/ a heavy wool sock w/ the hot hands between layers.

I imagine that would work well for waterfowling too.

You gonna see a major shift in waterfowlig from neoprene to breathable (Already happening). Easier to layer, dual purpose like you want, and easier to maintain. Get waders with neoprene booties, not with boots already on. Get Korker wading boots, they have interchangeable soles so you can do felt for fishing and hard rubber for ducks. Boots generally need a size up or 2. Dont worry but canon, either you will be in water or a blind. Your top half is what will need the camo.

You gonna see a major shift in waterfowlig from neoprene to breathable (Already happening). Easier to layer, dual purpose like you want, and easier to maintain. Get waders with neoprene booties, not with boots already on. Get Korker wading boots, they have interchangeable soles so you can do felt for fishing and hard rubber for ducks. Boots generally need a size up or 2. Dont worry but canon, either you will be in water or a blind. Your top half is what will need the camo.

I might disagree slightly with booties versus bootfoot. But that's a personal preference. If I were sitting in a blind for a cold morning, I'd almost prefer bootfoot for the increased loft & airflow on my feet versus boots laced up tight.

Having said that, I've got the exact setup you describe, and it's not let me down in almost 30 years of winter fly fishing. YMMV.

I found the hard way that neoprene booties/wading boots are way less warm than insulated boots one mid December duck hunt. My tootsies were screaming in frozen agony, while my hunting buddies were toasty warm.

I have both breathable camo and neoprene camo boot footed waders, and wait for the coldest temps to break out the neoprene. My boots are 800 and 1600 gram thinsulate insulated, as standing in slushy ice water is what will make or break your hunt comfort.

If you are really worried about camo v non-camo, bring a camo net or burlap to throw over your non-camo zones. Holding still is more important than having my marsh camo match the reeds that I'm trying to hide behind.

If you are hunting around brush/timber, you might want to go with a rugged pair of waders. Depends on where you’re hunting.

Used the light weight breathable waders for years while waterfowl hunting. No problem. Never gave it a second thought.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. Seems like I could definitely make it work with good layering underneath. Maybe the coldest of late season would be pushing it but by and large workable. Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry about the camo and you'll be fine for dual purpose as long as it doesn't get too cold. Never had "fly fishing" waders but have used many different cheap pairs of waders for work and hunting in the marsh and flooded woods. Your style of hunting would also affect temp depending if you will be in water all day or occasionally walking through water.
Do your waders have booties built in or just the neoprene foot? If it's the foot and walking through flooded woods I prefer using a cheap tennie shoe one size up. So much lighter which is great for long walks. In the marsh I prefer waders with a boot or a pair of boots one size up so you don't loose it in the muck.

Best of luck to you this season!

It's not doable while in the field, but just a tip keep a rubber tire patch kit handy in the truck,camp, house. I had a limb punch a hole in a pair of lacross rubber hip boots (was already waist deep in water). Covered the hole on the inside and outside of the boot and got another year out of them.

I did it for two years. After struggling to get my boots off my stockingfoots I gave up on them when it’s cold. If the temps hit the twenties I switch my breathables out for neoprene. Trust me that you’ll want to do that. Otherwise breathables are great.

As has been said - neoprene for cold weather. What I did for waterfowl is sub freezing temps was get a pair of boot foot neoprene waders 2 sizes larger than my foot size. This allowed me to slip a set of felt liners (think Sorrel type liner) into the boot and keep my toes toasty. NO FELT outer soles - you'll spend as much time on your ass as your feet. These strap on spikes work great on wet, slimy: rocks, logs, weeds, ice, etc. <https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/korkers-rocktrax-fishing-overshoe?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9NbdBRCwARIsAPLsnFaDdmyy8il1B9Yp85vfiBW_Z6B2k-OsdxSEZ97W6HtFBKZfSX4xRSUaAg4lEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds>

Absolutely! I've done it for years. I sweat too much in neoprene and they fit too tight. Layering is key and toe warmers are nice. The only time I would consider heavy neoprene again was if I was hunting in standing water all morning in the cold and didn't have to walk far to get there. That's not the type of hunting I do, so it's breathables for me every time. I don't worry about the camo either, just brush up and smear some mud on them if need be.

Back