PEAX Equipment

Trumps Harvest Two Kentucky Public Land Bulls

Am I missing something? How are these public land bulls? Sounds like these were hunted on private lands by paying for access.

This question is in earnest(and open to the entire floor), but does the North American Model dictate how tags/licenses are allocated?

I've glanced over it and not read in depth to this subject.

As Ben stated, plus I would add that Sister number 3 is very rarely observed in regard to these set aside tags. The various State Legislatures systematically ignore the public when adopting things like governors tags, commission tags, and transferable landowner tags. It goes so far, as the case with Wyoming, that the Governor ignored the MOU and gave away a sheep and elk tag that supposedly "would never happen" per the MOU. Disappointing when elected officials cant live up to their own agreements.

It's kind of like the old "it depends on what your meaning of the word is, is."

There is not exclusion for the wealthy to purchase their way to the front of the line,but the 7 sisters of the NAM are egalitarian in nature, and when viewed through the lens of the public trust, it could very easily be construed as a call to ensure that even the poorest among us have the opportunity to hunt and fish. The NAM doesn't say that the poor should get only antlerless tags while the more desirable large males should be available for the wealthy, but it also doesn't say that that everyone should have equal opportunity at big bucks and bulls.

It does say that the states should set up systems that are fair for all who participate, regardless of station or class (my interpretation).

Some states take varied approaches to the model, while others mostly disregard it (Texas, for example). There's a lot of room for interpretation and there should be. No one state system will work across the other 49, so allowing leeway for each individual state to set seasons, allocation, etc is necessary.

In this instance however, one could easily argue that station and wealth create a distinct imbalance in allocation of a resource that is in high demand by the citizens of a state. Giving those tags out to one person over so short a period of time smacks of favoritism, and the landed gentry treating public wildlife as their own possession.

Down with Prince John! Up with Robin Hood!

Oo-de-lally!

Thanks Ben, although I had to look up a few words...
Assuming the 7 sisters are the Model Components.

Am I missing something? How are these public land bulls? Sounds like these were hunted on private lands by paying for access.

Yes that is exactly what it is, although you dont pay for access in a direct sense. Just for the tag to hunt it. The land is only available for access for the tag holders and tag holders only. I believe very few of them are open to any other type of hunting. I've been down there elk shed hunting a few times. Ask about accessing the lands for that and see what you get told. There are a lot of WMAs that are open to public, however.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back