Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shiras tag

Northwoods

In 2000 When I lived in AK I shot a moose on a solo hunt. I’ll never do a solo moose hunt again but I’ll never be 25 and in a light infantry until again.
1BCA3CA3-9963-4049-80D8-3827F0A7E38C.jpg

In 2006 I drew a Minnesota moose tag and shot the moose of a lifetime for an eastern moose.
99C2C8B6-B953-4372-8018-12BF259C3429.jpg

So while trying to dream up an Alaskan moose hunt (I know where I wanna canoe into and hunt but getting to AK is a bugger), I thought about a hunt for a shiras moose so I can get one of each North American subspecies.

I need to do some homework but is anybody willing to share what state I should look at for the best chance at a nonresident tag in the future? I’ll apply for MT, WY, and ID supertags but I’d like a little better plan for drawing a tag some day.

From what I've looked into, it looks like Idaho has the best odds of getting a tag. In particular, there are units with lower success rates that are a bit "easier" to draw.

Yep, Idaho is best odds for a first time applicant for a moose draw when you are a non-resident. Also the best odds if are a first time resident applicant. Keep in mind you have to buy a hunting license to apply, there are fees to apply and money is due upfront. You also are not allowed to apply for sheep or mountain goat if apply for moose and if you apply for moose or goat or sheep then can not apply for limited entry elk/deer/pronghorn that year. Also, ignore prior year unit by unit draw odds. The non-resident bucket has a species cap and a unit cap. A unit might have had 2 non-residents apply and one drew but was not 50% odds to draw since if the application that was awarded a tag had been drawn a bit later then no tags might have been left for non-residents so would be 0 for 2 odds. Look at total non-resident bull tag applications and number of bull tags awarded to non-residents. There are cow tags as well and I think they count towards the 10% species cap for non-residents but my advice is to do the overall bull stats. Find a unit with decent harvest success and lots of public lands and you are good to apply. Keep in mind the bull moose tag is a once in a life tag IF HARVEST and residents will often eat tag soup since know they are likely to pull another bull moose tag in the future if pass on smaller bulls. Keep in mind the antler stats are skewed LOWER as some residents want a young bull for the presumed more tender meat so they are shooting 26" wide bulls and that pulls the average width lower than should expect to harvest if holding out for a larger bull in the 40s or 50s width.

Wyoming has some random draw tags but odds are steep. If you draw one the moose is not hard to find though.
I would , and do , apply for high odds areas just in hopes if drawing a random tag. When points get built up enough to draw a tag, then I apply for a specific area based on my draw odds.
Good luck, you're off to a good start on the moose slam!

That MN moose looks familiar. Did you shoot that near Mahlberg Lake, by chance?

After getting my moose in MN a few years back, I looked into trying to draw a Shiras tag out west. I decided not to get in the game. The odds were just too low given the cost of applications. Definitely look to Idaho as the other states you are a generation behind in points already and likely won't live long enough to have a realistic chance at drawing a tag. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back