2018 family Antelope hunt!

Duck-Slayer

Headed to Evanston at about 4pm. Should be there about 11pm. Get up and make the last 2 hour drive over too Saratoga WY! I’ll keep you updated as I can.
Matt

I unexpectedly spent some time in Evanston this summer. Two nights of boredom...

Evidently, when I was there was a Mormon holiday. Nothing was open.

Man the rain here in Wyoming last night and today is relentless lol. We stayed in Rock Speings on Tuesday night. Got up early and made it to our unit about 9am. Lots of Antelope, we saw an 80+” lope on our way in the unit across the road. We ended up finding some good bucks in our unit, made several stalks to get closer looks at a couple but they were not big enough. After several hrs we had it narrowed down to 2 that were possible shooters later in the hunt.
We than made the decision to go and try to fill our 3 Doe tags. Took a wrong turn into a ranchers driveway. He looked kinda pissed as he road up on his ATV. Younger guy about my age. I must have made a good impression because we chatted for sometime. He than said we were more than welcome to go and check his two hay fields above the creek for Doe’s if we would like. So we did, crested the the hill and looky there 25 Doe antelope laying in the field. We put a group of trees between us and the antelope made our way over. Got to the trees and there was a small rise that shielded us from the lopes. So we crawled up to the rise and all the antelope were laying there at 80 yards. Got the wife setup w the rifle and bypod. Picked out a big Doe and the shot rang out with a destinct thud! Went about 10 yards and over it went. The herd was on there feet not sure what happened. I told Kristin to pick out another big Doe. Bang thud antelope down! 2 with 2 shots. I was proud and we both were super excited! We than decided we should go grab the kids out of the truck. We got to the truck hopped in than drove over to the ranch house and asked if we could drive up to the antelope, what he wanted done with the carcass, and if I could fill my Doe tag. He told us it’s fine to drive up there and that to leave the carcasses so his son could shoot some coyotes off them. Perfect and gave him a bag of antelope jerky I made from our antelope we shot back in Idaho in August. He also said if I could get one go ahead.
As we drove up and parked a small buck and fawn came running bye at 15 yards. I decided to walk up over the hill to see if I could get my Doe. Sure enough they were standing out at 300 yards. I picked out a big Doe. Boom! No thud.... crap I missed, sticking w the bow lol... they ran up the hill so I quickly crossed the small coulee to get a better shot, they came up the other side of a small rise. Boom! Thud! Antelope down! Walked over and dragged it up too the trail. Now the fun begins of quartering the 3 antelope we shot at one time... took some time but not to bad. Only quartered them and deboned them at the hotel that night. Here are the hero shots from the first day in Antelope country.

Matt

"The Antelope Family" Are Back!!Yea Team...Send another slug ,it shows you care.

Congrats on acquiring a bunch of tasty meat and more importantly for getting the entire family involved.

Good on you two!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back