Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nevada Deer 072-079, 091 - Late Rifle - drew tag that a hunter gave back 9-28-18

Desk Pop

Hi There,
I just found out four days ago that a hunter gave his/her tag back and I was next. It is the late hunt...Oct 21-Nov 5. I hunted the land directly east of Jarbridge on a draw pronghorn hunt 4-5 years ago. It was lonely and desolate, but a good hunt.

I am not a real picky hunter, just looking for a fully mature deer. If he is 160, then awesome.

Any thoughts from those who have spent time there? I saw zero deer pronghorn hunting, but I was not looking. My thoughts are elk mtn, and north and east of Jarbridge in the foothills. I am a strong hiker and am in good shape. I am not against going into the Jarbridge, but for those who have been there hunting deer or elk, would I be better being mobile and glassing a lot of lower stuff?

Usually I hike way in for deer where I hunt in Idaho (general units where road hunter abound)...when I drew Book Cliffs muzzy deer in Utah, it was apparent to me that traveling and glassing a lot of areas was best, despite that I usually do not like hunting that way.

Would love to hear any thoughts...

I have the same tag and was just in the Jarbidge for elk. The deer, at least the does, are already starting to migrate slowly through the wilderness to the lower country. Elevation and latitude of the deer herds will depend on snow and temperature as the hunt progresses.

If you are just looking for a nice buck maybe try the Canyon Creek area. I have seen many nice bucks in that area. If nothing there you like you’re close enough to hit Elk Mountain.

Had this tag 2 years ago, I have the late rifle elk this year, I’ll shoot you a pm.

So I hunted this two years ago, I had tons of info and a plan but got some last minute intel from a elk hunter so ended up starting in the northern portion of 072. Hunted the last week of the season, right as I got in the unit there was a 165 buck bedded 20yards off the road with about a dozen doe. I hunted around biroth ridge for 4 days, deer were continuously coming out of the wilderness and staging within a half mile or so of the wilderness boundary in the open grass and sage areas. The first morning I glassed up a ring typical 180+, when I got over to where he was, I couldn’t find him, stayed around there for 4 days and never saw him again. Close to a dozen 160” bucks in 4 days, lots of deer, they were rutting hard and running around in the open. I hiked into the wilderness, hiked the boundary, saw more deer outside the wilderness but obviously I was covering more ground (jeep vs. boots) Finally decided to leave that area, The plan was to head east and then south. A big storm came in so I figured it would be a good day to burn traveling, drove over to elk mountains and down through lime creek basin I saw lots of deer but no decent bucks, came out the bottom of lime creek basin and shot a 175” buck from the road that had about 15 does with him. I saw very few people, the weather was a little bit of everything, all the roads are HORRIBLE, the area is HUGE, and very remote. I’m heading over on the 3rd for the late bull rifle hunt, planning on hunting 072, please pm me if you guys have any info. Thanks. Happy to answer any specific questions and have fun.

So I hunted this two years ago, I had tons of info and a plan but got some last minute intel from a elk hunter so ended up starting in the northern portion of 072. Hunted the last week of the season, right as I got in the unit there was a 165 buck bedded 20yards off the road with about a dozen doe. I hunted around biroth ridge for 4 days, deer were continuously coming out of the wilderness and staging within a half mile or so of the wilderness boundary in the open grass and sage areas. The first morning I glassed up a ring typical 180+, when I got over to where he was, I couldn’t find him, stayed around there for 4 days and never saw him again. Close to a dozen 160” bucks in 4 days, lots of deer, they were rutting hard and running around in the open. I hiked into the wilderness, hiked the boundary, saw more deer outside the wilderness but obviously I was covering more ground (jeep vs. boots) Finally decided to leave that area, The plan was to head east and then south. A big storm came in so I figured it would be a good day to burn traveling, drove over to elk mountains and down through lime creek basin I saw lots of deer but no decent bucks, came out the bottom of lime creek basin and shot a 175” buck from the road that had about 15 does with him. I saw very few people, the weather was a little bit of everything, all the roads are HORRIBLE, the area is HUGE, and very remote. I’m heading over on the 3rd for the late bull rifle hunt, planning on hunting 072, please pm me if you guys have any info. Thanks. Happy to answer any specific questions and have fun.

Thanks. Biroth is one of my backup plans. Thanks for the intel! I'm sure this hunt will live up to the hype.

Last edited:
I wanted to put the report up from this....better late than never.

I had a good hunt and got a deer I was happy with. The drought was really tough on antler growth (and likely why the tag holder turned his tag in last minute giving me an opportunity to hunt.) I looked over 12 truly mature mule deer before I found mine and they were all very stunted and crabby. I found this deer out with does mid-day while traveling to another range within the unit. I chased them around until they bedded and was able to get a shot. I was using a Begara B14 HMR in 6.5 cm I had recently gotten and apparently not shot enough. The bolt would only throw a small percentage of empties, something I did not notice sighting in. When I did the bolt for the second shot, I had a bad jam. I figured I short-stroked it, but later found out that it just did not throw shells...they just clicked and fell. I got it sorted and was able to get another in him before he fell. (I sent it to Bergara twice and eventually they figured it out...shot great and shoots even better now that it is broken in, but does need to throw shells, which it does now.)

I hunted to the east of the Jarbridge mostly and a little bit into the wilderness a couple times. I killed outside of the wilderness. Surprisingly, I never saw an elk, but saw a decent amount of deer.
Screenshot_20201226-110055_Gallery.jpg

Sounds like an awesome place to hunt. Nice deer. How many days did you hunt before you took your buck? When did you see the larger bucks start mixing it up with the does? Was it end of October or did they not get started until the first few days of November?

Sounds like an awesome place to hunt. Nice deer. How many days did you hunt before you took your buck? When did you see the larger bucks start mixing it up with the does? Was it end of October or did they not get started until the first few days of November?
I was there at the end of October and they were starting to break up into herds with single herd bucks with groups of does. I was going to hunt later, but was worried about access with snow. The roads are not awesome there. It is a neat place. Pretty remote. I recommend extra gas and two spare tires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back