Nevada unit 101-109 advice

Jeremyhardwick

Hey all im a new hunter and i drew my first tag this year for the Ruby Mountains in Nevada. Ive done a bit of backpacking and have been on one previous hunting trip. Any advice on a new guy heading out there to look for Mule deer? I figured i would hike past liberty lake and glass some basins in the backcountry. Everything helps. Thanks!

Lamoille canyon caught fire today, last I checked it was around 1,000 acres. Hopefully it doesn't make it up top but it's not looking good.

I would abandon the Liberty Lake idea. Even if they get it out quick, it is probably going to be a mess up there with a lot of activity. That Country will also not do well after a fire if any rain comes. I am not certain where it is burning, or how high it has gotten, but probably best to stay away. There are plenty of deer to be had that are no where near Lamoille Canyon and a lot easier to hunt IMO.

I would abandon the Liberty Lake idea. Even if they get it out quick, it is probably going to be a mess up there with a lot of activity. That Country will also not do well after a fire if any rain comes. I am not certain where it is burning, or how high it has gotten, but probably best to stay away. There are plenty of deer to be had that are no where near Lamoille Canyon and a lot easier to hunt IMO.

I was looking for somewhere i could hike several miles in with plenty of water thats why i chose this area. As this is my first deer hunt im relying a lot on friends info. Any tips on what areas i should look into?

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6235/

It looks like the lower half of the canyon is burning or has burned. Very unlikely you are going to get in there for the mid hunt. I read one news report that said the canyon is closed, and that is the only way in to that trail head.

I am sure whomever pointed you in that direction can help with other places to go as well. I can point you in a direction or two as well, send me a PM.

There are only a couple other places to get away and hike "several miles" away from a trail head in those mountains.

Jeremyhardwick - I think you'll be surprised. There is a lot more water up there than what shows on the maps. At least that was my experience from archery season this year.

Make sure to do all of your research before heading towards the rubies. I read a story yesterday stating that they aren't letting anyone into certain areas until after November 30th due to the danger of debris flows and rockslides. That tag is for a huge area and I wouldn't go near the rubies this year.

That closure is just for Lamoille Canyon. The rest of the Rubies are open. The information is at the link above.

Op. I sent you a PM again. I did not get your number when you called me.

Just in case your not on the mountain yet, I had good success on the east side of the mountain watching deer come off the fields and head back into the mountain. There is water everywhere up there.

I drew the 101-109 muzzleloader tag... anyone with info would be appreciated... I know 101, 102 and 103 carry a majority of the deer, but what about 105 or 106 the Goshute mountains? Is there a place to rent horses?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back