Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear #2 from the Sierras

sierrahunter

Some of you know that I already punched my bear tag during archery season (posted here), but I had such a close encounter with another bear, that I’m considering it my second bear of the year (and I got video!).

I hunted a new area last week (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear (only one allowed per season) so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I couldn’t believe when this guy appeared at 25 feet below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!

Check it out. https://youtu.be/POCxNtFSJN0

Wow, that was awesome!! Thanks for posting this- kinda cool to see those big critters come unglued a bit.

Plenty of shot opportunity if you hadn't already punched your tag. Who can see the wind ? We just did at the end of that video.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back