Caribou Gear Tarp

MT Upland / Waterfowl

Ttannahill14

Heading to MT November 7th for a 10 day Mule deer elk hunt. Was thinking about packing the over under in case I tag out early.

Couple questions: I'm a fairly seasoned upland hunter here in Kansas shooting mainly pheasants and some quail. What do I need to know about hunting grouse? Are there male/female limitations like pheasants? I've literally never seen one I don't think. I won't be bringing my dog as I'm big game hunting first and don't want to mess with him... still chance of bagging a bird or two with a days worth of walking?

I'll be deer hunting in 7, elk hunting up by Butte. Would be willing to walk a little with anyone who happens to be getting out along the I90 corridor if anyone was interested.

Thanks!

You can definitely get into birds. Check the regs on limits, but I wouldnt be too worried about it. Pheaseants are @#)(# only, but grouse arent. A lot will be weather dependent. If you get your deer and wlk, you will likely be too tired to do much else...

That's kinda what I was thinking... leave the duck decoys at home... bring the shotgun and if I have an extra day or two casually walk some ground.

Just trying to squeeze as much into the trip as possible... have a SD pheasant hunt and some instate upland trips planned but other than that this is my only trip of the fall.

Trying to shoot a deer and elk will be plenty to keep you busy!

For sharptails, they get super flighty by the time November rolls around. We'll be out deer hunting, pop over a hill and birds will immediately flush 300 yards away.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back