Big Thank You!

fmnjr

The following may seem trivial to some of you but I would like to say thanks to everyone that contributes on this forum.

This applies especially in my case as I've never handled rifles or scopes before landing here.

The learning curve I faced with rifles, particularly with scoping rifles, was kinda steep but due to contributions from various folks it was possible to get through it and now I've two dependable rifles zeroed at 100 yards.

Tomorrow, for my birthday no less, I'm taking my family out to the range and we're going to take them out to 200 and beyond.

There were lots of stumbles and trips along the way but I've learned a whole bunch of stuff I'd not known of before and probably might not have if not for the lot of you.

And of course I need to mention the video Randy so graciously linked at the top of the Optics area! So great, it was very helpful.

All of you are top notch in my estimation!

In reading your message I can appreciate your position as someone who grew up pre-internet many of us only had parents and local "experts" to rely on. Today it's just the opposite experts are everywhere. While that may seem harsh it's not meant to be the more info we have the gooder our computers can function. I know that I look back years ago and can't believe what I believed then, but know otherwise now. This forum and all forums are a wealth of know for the average Joe' thanks guys.

Have fun shooting and enjoy! Be sure to follow up with any other questions you might have. Rifles are sure fun!

We had a blast today here: http://www.brpc1.org/

Got there at 830ish shot on the public courtesy range in a 75 yard slot till a 200 yard one opened up.

The Mossberg Patriot 300WM and Vortex Crossfire II combo was spot on. What a setup, $434 for it and though I'm no expert it seems like the thing is a tack driver.

Still need to work on the Vangaurd 243/Burris setup. We're on paper out to 200 but we're all over the place with shot placement. We'll settle things out over the next couple weeks though, I'm sure.

Did a lot of research and dumb-question-asking here, got a lot of good suggestions which were taken to heart.

Just learning how to get on paper by bore sighting for example, didn't know squat about that until someone of good nature explained it to me.

Another great suggestion was to use a Past shoulder pad when shooting the 300. Very glad that I took that one up with the number of rounds put through that thing. Dang, my shoulder would have been black and blue for sure if not for that.

Again, that video was so helpful. It takes a lot of pain out of the process, literally!

My son and I are having such a good time doing this together, so much fun.

Back