Wilkes Brothers at it again.....

Nothing anyone can do if there is no legal reason they can't close access. I wonder if there is a different way to access the public land that borders them on that side. Could eventually be some pretty awesome hunting next to the property line.

Nothing anyone can do if there is no legal reason they can't close access. I wonder if there is a different way to access the public land that borders them on that side. Could eventually be some pretty awesome hunting next to the property line.

isn't there some sort of grandfather clause involving precedence if this has been accessible for years and years? What's the term I'm fishing for????

isn't there some sort of grandfather clause involving precedence if this has been accessible for years and years? What's the term I'm fishing for????

"Historic use" is a term i've heard thrown around, though I don't know how it would hold up in court. The article does mention some kind of agreement that was made with the pervious owner that although it wasn't a easement, may essentially count as one.

This could bother enough sportsmen to motivate legislation to improve access to public lands. Like the song says, "you don't know what you've got 'til its gone."

I will bet the Idaho properties will be for sale in the not to distant future as well.

A bunch already are, I think this being one of them.

I'll be a bit surprised if the locals don't rip the gates out. It happens quite a bit around me and the locals actually like the landowners here.

I would imagine their lawyers suggested they block it off for a period of time to make sure they don't lose their right to control access.

I wonder how many PL owners put up gates in other places that never get mention in an article?

Weak diversion. It is clearly the cost of being approximately the 10th largest landowners in the US, with a history of holding public access for ransom.

It seems like people took for granted the grace provided by the lumber companies who previously owned it, and now they are wincing. It does sound like there may be an opening with that historical document the Forest Service had with Boise Cascade allowing access.

Weak diversion. It is clearly the cost of being approximately the 10th largest landowners in the US, with a history of holding public access for ransom.

It seems like people took for granted the grace provided by the lumber companies who previously owned it, and now they are wincing. It does sound like there may be an opening with that historical document the Forest Service had with Boise Cascade allowing access.

Weak diversion, easy target.

I happen to live a few miles from the largest private landowner in the US. Doubt his name has ever been mentioned here, and honestly I don't know if his land holdings border public land.

The argument should be if the Wilks, or anyone else, putting up gates has the legal right to do so.

I think based on their private property rights they do, unless there is some type of public right of way established; which would obviously be in the public record in this case.

That being said, if there was some type of easement agreement in the past that hasn't been properly recorded, or some want to pursue a prescriptive easement based on historical use, it is certainly possible that this could fall in the favor of the public land user.

Weak diversion, easy target.

I happen to live a few miles from the largest private landowner in the US. Doubt his name has ever been mentioned here, and honestly I don't know if his land holdings border public land.

The argument should be if the Wilks, or anyone else, putting up gates has the legal right to do so.

The WIlkes are the posterchildren for trying to steal public land for personal use, and in this instance, for shutting down long-standing traditional access. You need a foil, and two anti-public land boys from Texas who want to be kings are custom-made villians. Yes, roads get closed all the time, legally and illegally. Using the WIlkes as the face of this movement helps galvanize support as people tend to want villains to rally against (Hillary, Trump, etc). ID just passed a ridiculously stupid trespass bill based on the Wilks' input and pressure. That same input and pressure killed a bill in MT in 17 that would have increased fines for people who illegally gate county roads, and would have flipped the burden of proof from the counties & public to those who wanted to close the roads.

We live in an era where money tries to turn us all into serfs, haggling over the last remaining scraps of a free life that people with money and power will let us have.

The WIlkes are the posterchildren for trying to steal public land for personal use, and in this instance, for shutting down long-standing traditional access. You need a foil, and two anti-public land boys from Texas who want to be kings are custom-made villians. Yes, roads get closed all the time, legally and illegally. Using the WIlkes as the face of this movement helps galvanize support as people tend to want villains to rally against (Hillary, Trump, etc). ID just passed a ridiculously stupid trespass bill based on the Wilks' input and pressure. That same input and pressure killed a bill in MT in 17 that would have increased fines for people who illegally gate county roads, and would have flipped the burden of proof from the counties & public to those who wanted to close the roads.

We live in an era where money tries to turn us all into serfs, haggling over the last remaining scraps of a free life that people with money and power will let us have.

You need to find your William Wallace!

Back