WTB Maven B2

MTDanJ

After doing a little research I decided to invest in some higher end optics and settled on giving the Maven B2 9x45 binos a go.
Does anyone have a lightly used pair they might be willing to part with? Thank you

I have a pair, but not looking to get rid of them. You will really like them. I added them with a medium marsupial harness and it's absolutely perfect for me. One thing to look for is when they do shows. They usually do 25% off on everything, even the custom stuff they bring.

I purchased some demo b2's and compared them to some vortex razor hd 10x42's, and some swarovski el 10x42's and some maven b.1 10x42. Optically they were really really good..... but they are GIANT! If size and weight isn't a concern, i would highly recommend them, but try to handle a pair first if you can.

I purchased some demo b2's and compared them to some vortex razor hd 10x42's, and some swarovski el 10x42's and some maven b.1 10x42. Optically they were really really good..... but they are GIANT! If size and weight isn't a concern, i would highly recommend them, but try to handle a pair first if you can.

So optically you were able to tell b1 v b2 apart?

The b1 aren't small themselves in the specs.

Considering the b1 and b2 have a completely different prism system there should have been a slight difference at dawn/dusk. That prism system is what makes them brighter but slight larger, mine fit great in my medium marsupial harness, just like my 10x50 bx-3 leupolds did. Abbe Koenig is larger and heavier versus Schmidt Pechan. You see these as BX-5 Leupolds, Zig Sauer Zulu 9, some Zeiss models, and the Maven B2 and I believe the B4.

I was used to handling 10x50's which were nearly identical to the 9x45 b2's but if you are used to 8x42's I can see why they would seem large.

Considering the b1 and b2 have a completely different prism system there should have been a slight difference at dawn/dusk. That prism system is what makes them brighter but slight larger, mine fit great in my medium marsupial harness, just like my 10x50 bx-3 leupolds did. Abbe Koenig is larger and heavier versus Schmidt Pechan. You see these as BX-5 Leupolds, Zig Sauer Zulu 9, some Zeiss models, and the Maven B2 and I believe the B4.

I was used to handling 10x50's which were nearly identical to the 9x45 b2's but if you are used to 8x42's I can see why they would seem large.

It's hard to find many b1 vs b2 comparisons but I know at least one individual on this forum found the b2 better. In fact I've read a post on another forum where a gentleman claims the b1 is inferior to even other bino in the same price range. That seems to go against the idea that any Maven is as good as a much more expensive bino due to retail.

My new personal plan is to demo both b1 and b2 this winter to see which if either is worth the cash compared to my current binos. But I'm always interested to hear others' take on the two.

It's hard to find many b1 vs b2 comparisons but I know at least one individual on this forum found the b2 better. In fact I've read a post on another forum where a gentleman claims the b1 is inferior to even other bino in the same price range. That seems to go against the idea that any Maven is as good as a much more expensive bino due to retail.

My new personal plan is to demo both b1 and b2 this winter to see which if either is worth the cash compared to my current binos. But I'm always interested to hear others' take on the two.

I actually looked at every model they had except the b3 when I made my purchase including the C. (At the time the 10x50 C series was not out).

It's funny as had I not looked through them I was actually interested in the B-4. I went and looked at it and for some reason I just didn't get that amazing feeling when looking through them. I don't know if it was eye relief or something else but I just could not get comfortable with them. So I went back in and saw the 11x45 B2 in custom camo and was for sure that would be the one I wanted. Tried it. Then proceeded to go out and sit with each model they had including B1's for about 20 minutes looking over Cody to get a good feel. This was at a trade show that was dead so I had plenty of time to kill so I slept on it. Next day I took the 9x45's and 11x45's out and compared for about an hour and came to the conclusion that I preferred the 9x45's.

I think they were very similar in view as I did not compare at dawn/dusk but for me it was feel. I am a bigger guy and had been using 10x50's so this was a similar feel for me. And at least part of the decision was how well these fit in my hands and bino harness.

At this point I have the B2, Marsupial harness, and Leica rangefinder on the side. I feel like superman putting on his cape compared to the BX-3 Leupolds and Vortex rangefinder I used to have as they are both huge upgrades.

Either way you can't go wrong. Occasionally a pair will show up on e-bay if you are a bargain hunter.

I’d be more than happy to take the B2s off your hands to save some weight

I read that vortex and maven both get there glass from zen ray. Why not just buy vortex? Since their warranty is so great.

Last edited:
I read that vortex and maven both get there glass from zen ray. Why not just buy vortex? Since their warranty is so great.

Just because the same company makes the glass does not mean they are made to the same standard.

The Maven warranty looks good too.

I love my Maven B2 9x45. Three years of use now (three hunting seasons) and I like them more and more all the time. They are terrific on a tripod, they balance well being handheld etc. My buddy finally caved and picked up the B2 in 11x45 and totally loves them. Each time we are glassing he makes a comment that he is really glad I talked him into giving them a try. Now his uncle owns the B2 11x45 as well and is totally in love.

When I was shopping, I compared the Conquests, Razors, SLCs, B1s and these B2s. I owned a Leica Duovid 8-12x42 at the time. I quickly eliminated the Conquests as I really didn't like them. The Razors were good to my eyes bettering the B1s to my eyes. The SLCs were best, but the B2 were so close. I chose the B2s, compared them to my Leicas for about 2 months and then sold the Leicas. I thought the B2s were better. They fit me better, they were a touch brighter and were sharper to the edge.

FWIW this has been my experience.

I also now own a C1 8x42 which is a very good bino. When you consider its price point, it is a terrific bargain.

FH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back