Arkansas restricts access to non-residents

beginnerhunter

https://www.agfc.com/en/news/2018/0...fowl-permit-changes-effective-2019-20-season/

Basically NRs will be limited in the dates they can use WMAs for waterfowl hunting.

I'm normally very supportive of the AGFC, but I think this is a mistake. Yes, the WMAs are crowded. But why don't we lessen the crowding by providing access to MORE properties rather than restricting hunting opportunities??

I've long advocated for increasing NR fees (our NR waterfowl fees are ridiculously low). If the higher fees led to fewer NR hunters, you would have achieved the same outcome as restricting hunting days for NR. If higher fees led to higher revenues, you could take the extra money and aquire new property or lease from private landowners for public hunting. My thinking is the NR would pony up and pay the higher fees (duck hunters already spend a fortune on gear, boats, waders etc.). But now we'll just have lower revenues and fewer hunters. Bad deal for all of us.

If I'm off base, someone let me know how they think it could be done better.

Last edited:
“This isn’t about us versus them,” said Commissioner Stan Jones of Walnut Ridge. “It’s about maintaining the quality of the hunt. Right now there’s a hunter behind every tree.The nonresidents may even see where residents decide not to show up to those most popular places during those days because they know there will be crowds and choose to go elsewhere.”

What a crock of shit.

Those residents have got to be some of the most arrogant and rude people I have ever met in my life. Trying to bully people out of their spots for years. Its ridiculous.

What they should do is not allow residents to hunt the days non-residents can hunt. Its that simple.

As an AR resident who has hunted public WMAs I think this is a good idea. Every big game state out west restricts non residents in some manner.

Maybe a draw system to limit the number of people on a particular HMA. Wyoming does this successfully, but obviously requires $. I don't believe they give any preference to residents for those properties in WY.

My thoughts exactly PH. I can't think of any. They may rape us on licenses but once I'm there I have the same access as any resident does. Anywhere I have been anyway.

Non resident quotas such as New Mexico's 6%

IMO the % of big game tags given to NR's is not a "restriction" similar to limiting NR's ability to hunt a WMA.

You said every big game state out west.

Now if what Schmalts said is true then you can add NM to the list as not allowing NR's to apply for hunting in WMA's would certainly be similar.

If you really want to see a state who limits NR's look no further than Kansas. They didn't even allow NR's to hunt deer until 1994.

Non resident quotas such as New Mexico's 6%

For sure, most states show preference for residents. My problem with this proposal is the potential loss of revenue for the state (or leaving revenue on the table). I'm also concerned about hunter recruitment/retainment for the future of hunting.

I just think there are better ways to approach this. AGFC recently added ~1000 acres to Cypress Bayou which is the sort of thing I want to see more of. I'm concerned that loss of revenue could compromise future additions. I will admit I don't know where to find hard data on this.

As an aside, I spoke recently with an AGFC officer and he said there will be likely be more limited permit type regulations coming for duck hunting, residents and non-residents. This could be avoided if we had more public hunting land available.

IMO the % of big game tags given to NR's is not a "restriction" similar to limiting NR's ability to hunt a WMA.

Now if what Schmalts said is true then you can add NM to the list as not allowing NR's to apply for hunting in WMA's would certainly be similar.

If you really want to see a state who limits NR's look no further than Kansas. They didn't even allow NR's to hunt deer until 1994.

Right you are! And before that there was a Draw for residents to get a tag. No over the counter tags for bucks or does. And you picked between archery and firearms. The deer resource was managed. Now a days the deer resource is sold. The State likes the money.

It's true. It started around 6 years ago. I used to apply for elk in a couple of those WMA's and now NR cannot do so.

As a former resident of Arkansas, I have no issue with this. While I was not much of a duck hunter when I lived there, I have several friends back home that are and they seem to be happy with the rule change. I think if the state starts losing out on too much money due to this, the law will change. In my eyes, this is no different than what they do in Alaska where NR are not allowed to hunt certain GMU's for certain big game. I think residents should always have the first shot of hunting opportunities in their home state.

Does it make a difference to anyone that these ducks are interstate migratory birds?

Any federal $$ in those WMAs?

I'd be curious to know how many hunters drop the sport due to crowding? I know several former hunters here in Colorado who gave up big game hunting because of crowding. Even the fitness nut hunters that hike miles back in complain about the crowding in the backcountry. I believe Colorado is too far gone in the commercialization of hunting for it to ever change for the better. We will never have the hunting access programs to relieve crowding that other states have thanks to OTC tags for anyone that wants one, since a lot of nonresidents mean big money to ranchers & farmers with leasing land. State cant compete with the lease rates even with the enormous revenue the CPW takes in.

Loss of those resident hunters, could lead to a loss of important support for hunting (voting) in the future.

"The number of nonresident WMA waterfowl permits issued dropped 42 percent last year." - from linked article.

This was after limiting the permits to a certain number of days. So they know there will be less revenue and don't care. Perhaps the $ from NR is less than I thought (although it doesn't take into account $ spent at hotels, restaurants and sporting goods stores).

I'd still rather open up more land for public hunting that residents AND non residents can use to ease crowding. And these new rules don't do that.

I'd still rather open up more land for public hunting that residents AND non residents can use to ease crowding. And these new rules don't do that.

this is just no practical unfortunately. can't manufacture more green timber duck hunting land.

Maybe other states should take a page out of Wyoming's book.

"The Department shall issue a trapping license to a nonresident only
if their state issues licenses to Wyoming residents to trap the
same species for which residents of that state may be licensed
to trap in that state. "

Cool Arkansas you do you... but don't try and hunt ducks on WMAs in the 29 other states that have them.

Personally I think the same rule should apply to elk hunting; sorry Michigan and Wisconsin, I get that your elk population is tiny and the odds of a resident drawing are 1 in a million and honestly I would never apply for a tag because I wouldn't want to take that opportunity from a local... but it's bs that non-residents can't apply period. You can make a non-resident tag 20k and only give out one NR tag total every 5 years or something crazy... but if you want to access a public resource in CO you have to give the residents of CO an opportunity in your state, however small.

I still don't see what would be wrong with charging $750 for a full season or $500 for 5 days. This ain't squirrel hunting. Duck hunting is expensive even if your grandfather owns prime flooded timber! I think people will pay. Let's fleece the NR just like every other state does. Lol.

As far as manufacturing land, the AGFC does purchase land and lease from timber companies for public use. That's one of the great things AGFC does. For future properties, I'd start by looking up WRP, CRP, etc properties and asking who might be interested in selling or leasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back