Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Oregon Hunting Access and Weyerhaeuser permit fees

Jo83ben

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on weyerhaeuser?

They own a ton of huntable land here in Oregon and each year seem to limit its use more and more with costly (and ever increasing) fees and limiting permits. They claim these fees are only to protect from damage, repair gates, etc, which is BS.

They are the largest private owner of timberlands in the US by a massive margin, and they are in many states awarded tax cuts and incentives (often with the caveat of allowing public use of the forest).

Maybe I'm just venting, but would love to hear others input on this issue. Personally I would like to see a Ballot measure in Oregon that would limit access fees/permits if companies want to continue to receive tax breaks.

Waddayagonnado? They own the land. Maybe talk with Oregon BHA to see what they think about the possibility of that sort of legislation. My guess is it could do more harm than good from an access standpoint. Hunter access fees are so little of Weyerhauser's earnings, that I could see something like that backfiring and the company shutting down access altogether.

Also, welcome to the forum.

They own a ton of huntable land here in Oregon and each year seem to limit its use more and more with costly (and ever increasing) fees and limiting permits. They claim these fees are only to protect from damage, repair gates, etc, which is BS.

They are the largest private owner of timberlands in the US by a massive margin, and they are in many states awarded tax cuts and incentives (often with the caveat of allowing public use of the forest).

Maybe I'm just venting, but would love to hear others input on this issue. Personally I would like to see a Ballot measure in Oregon that would limit access fees/permits if companies want to continue to receive tax breaks.

My thoughts on Weyerhaeuser so far in Montana have been positive. They have been open to several conservation easement projects like this one.

https://www.hungryhorsenews.com/outdoors/20180221/weyerhaeuser_sells_land_for_easement

Can you provide a run down of the tax breaks Weyerhaeuser is given by your state?

I'm pretty sure there is an episode where the guys on Born and Raised Outdoors hunt on Weyerhaeuser property on the coast and get a bull. My girlfriend was dead set on purchasing a permit near our house but the month it was available it went from $200 a person to over a hundred dollars more. You get to pull out two cords of wood with your permit as well, but I just don't see the payout when we have so much public land. I was tempted to purchase permits with her but just couldn't bare to spend that money on a hunch. We didn't do it. Also, I imagine the wood you're allowed to grab is crappy fir. I'm in the Willamette Valley. Just a glance on craigslist once and a while or stopping in at someones house when they had tree work done has gotten me enough hardwood to take care of the winter. The price I'd pay for me to get a permit is the same as a decent range finder. Mine and my girlfriends permit price together is a tent like the one Randy Newberg uses (which is a kick ass tent, but not something I'd ever purchase).... but still. I think it's fine they charge and raise their rates every year. Let em. They own a lot of land but we still have millions of acres to hunt on that we all share. If they found a way to sell their land for real estate in Oregon and it starts getting built on I'd start to change my opinion.

Weyerhaeuser makes 3 to 4 million dollars annually from access permits.
The Vail tree farm is 10 minutes from my doorstep. I have never bought one of their crappy permits and never will. They are Terrible stewards of the land, it is all reprod and jack fir, thick as hell. I would rather spend the money on the local folks in MT and ID who run the motel, restaurant, gas station ect. They can use it more than a national corporation that acquired our land in the great Northwest Land Theft. Thank the Federal Government and the Railroads.
Public Land is my choice.

I live with Weyerhaeuser all around me , it’s convient and I can hunt from home , I don’t care about the price, it’s year 4 for me , my family and friends have filled a lot of tags on there dirt

2C2FBF54-C608-48B9-8D6B-C235E879884A.jpeg

Last edited:
Judging from the way people treat the public lands around here, I have no doubt tree farms have to deal with a lot of damage/vandalism/trash. I also believe the lands would remain open if state government had the political will to make it happen but I don't ever see that happening in WA and probably not OR either. It's unfortunate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back