Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Perfect Storm

Wannabehunter

2 years in the making.....

Guided Elk hunt in Wyoming....

First time hunting out west....

First time Big Game hunting.....

Forest Fire - outfitters camp up in smoke, National Forest Service shutting down all roads into the hunt area. Needless to say felt like I got kicked in the goods. It hurt really bad. After about 20 mins of feeling crappy. I was thinking screw it. Lets do OTC in Colorado. So my hunting partner and I are off to unit 18 second rifle. Luckily enough for us our outfitter has hunted all be in a few years back and gave us a jumping off point for a do it yourself hunt and at least a location to get started in. Any advice for a couple of flatlanders headed to Colorado would be appreciated. Im open to any advice have been reading about Elk hunting, watching videos, reading through the forums for the better part of a year trying to better understand what we will be taking on. Didn't want to just pack it in and not go.

I applaud your sense of adventure and desire to not give up. Those alone will carry you far. Some thoughts on your CO OTC Elk:

1. Enjoy the experience, don't focus on the kill.
2. Write down your lessons as you learn them; you will forget them when you get back to the truck.
3. Try something new each day until you find what works.

2 years in the making.....

Guided Elk hunt in Wyoming....

First time hunting out west....

First time Big Game hunting.....

Forest Fire - outfitters camp up in smoke, National Forest Service shutting down all roads into the hunt area. Needless to say felt like I got kicked in the goods. It hurt really bad. After about 20 mins of feeling crappy. I was thinking screw it. Lets do OTC in Colorado. So my hunting partner and I are off to unit 18 second rifle. Luckily enough for us our outfitter has hunted all be in a few years back and gave us a jumping off point for a do it yourself hunt and at least a location to get started in. Any advice for a couple of flatlanders headed to Colorado would be appreciated. Im open to any advice have been reading about Elk hunting, watching videos, reading through the forums for the better part of a year trying to better understand what we will be taking on. Didn't want to just pack it in and not go.

So did G&F refund your tag? Or is it a LQ unit in mostly/all wilderness? I'm just trying to determine if there's no way you can hunt Wyoming this year.

The area was in a wilderness area, which as non resident I needed a guide. Guide was shut down do to forest fire. I have submitted for a return on the tag and to allow preference point to be used to try and draw again next year. In hindsight I suppose we could have looked for another area in Wyoming and kept the tag. That would have probably been better than OTC Colorado, but at least we will gain some experience, hopefully get an elk down be it bull or cow, and pack in on some mules next year to Wyoming.

The area was in a wilderness area, which as non resident I needed a guide. Guide was shut down do to forest fire. I have submitted for a return on the tag and to allow preference point to be used to try and draw again next year. In hindsight I suppose we could have looked for another area in Wyoming and kept the tag. That would have probably been better than OTC Colorado, but at least we will gain some experience, hopefully get an elk down be it bull or cow, and pack in on some mules next year to Wyoming.

Is it a general tag?

Correct it is a general tag, my outfitter had suggested that I submit to F&G for a reimbursement. I filled paperwork and sent it in. Maybe would have been better off just keeping it and hunting a different area not sure I can do anything about it now.

Correct it is a general tag, my outfitter had suggested that I submit to F&G for a reimbursement. I filled paperwork and sent it in. Maybe would have been better off just keeping it and hunting a different area not sure I can do anything about it now.

You probably won't get a refund or points back because there are tons of general units still open. I may be mistaken, maybe someone who knows better will chime in. I hope for your sake I am wrong. I'd personally kept the general and found another unit to hunt in Wyoming rather than an OTC Colorado. I had to get refunds for a deer and elk tag because of a fire but they were both limited entry tags. Hope all works out for you.

I should find out in a week or two, I felt like I had a pretty good letter to the review team. Hopefully, it pans out otherwise maybe we do the roundabout flip back to Wyoming and try to pick a new area again. I guess only time will tell. Would definitely suck loosing out on the money and spending another 600 and change in Colorado. At that point you may be on to something and looking into a place in Wyoming on the general just in case the licensing board gives us the bird.

There is a ton of great hunting on the Wyoming general tag. I'd start snooping around doing some research so you have a head start if they will not refund your tag. If they do refund it, you have a great plan of getting your feet wet in CO and then hunting Wyoming next year. No matter what happens, good luck!

Yeah, just when I think I have my ducks in a row you guys and you ideas have me scrambling again! On the Wyoming hunt planner is there a way to pull which units are good on the general tag? To be honest all my research and effort in Wyoming was in the Bridger Tetons which was in a wilderness area. Need to come up with a new plan, like you said in case the F&G doesn't do the refund. Wouldn't make sense to spend another 640$ in Colorado plus what I have already paid in Wyoming. Anyone know any big mountains to climb where the elk like to hide?

Also, thank you all for the feedback and information. Stressful having plans change at the last minute. I appreciate all the advice so far.

I'm hunting a general unit next week. If you end up keeping the tag, PM me and I'll pass along the information I gather if you want. I have a cow tag that opens there 10/1, general season opens in that unit 10/15.

I feel your pain because... I to have a hunt coming up in the same area. Just talked to my guide earlier in the week they had to pull out but luckily they are on the other side of the interstate and there camp didn't get toasted but still in the evacuation area so they had to leave and take down there camp.. I'm hoping they will take me to another area maybe further up north in area 84 . I'm going to talk to them again at the beginning of the week . I've been looking forward all spring/summer to my first trip out west and my first elk hunt. I should have a couple weeks to figure out the chaos . I feel sorry for all the people that lost there homes these huge wild fires can destroy your dreams. Hope you find somewhere to elk hunt at ..good luck!

Back