How Do Y'all Do It!

genesis273

I just returned from an elk hunt in Montana, but had to go alone this year! Hunting partner was flooded out by Hurricane Florence and couldn't make it. The driving 2400 miles there and back wasn't too bad, had 5 bulls to come in between 52-100 yards, so it was a successful hunt, although no kill. What got me was the solitude! I like being around people, but evidently more than I realized! I was never worried/scared, due to being in the woods and hunting for 45 years. But the "not having anyone to talk to" drove me slap crazy! I did take 10 newspaper crossword puzzles, but finished those too quick too.
Besides, it does help to have someone behind you 40-50 yards calling!

Anyway, for you solo hunters, my hats off to you!

One thing that helps me is hiking harder and farther than my comfort zone permits. If I'm exhausted when I get back to camp, I have just enough energy to eat something then pass out. If I don't exhaust myself I get bored. If I get bored, I lose motivation.

I guess it just takes different folks. I am an extrovert, but I am also comfortable alone. In fact, when I was fishing the Madison a few days by mself this past summer I told my wife I had an epiphany: I think I am a better person when no one is around. (what I meant by that is I don't have to deal with the dumb stuff of this world that ticks me off.) I just finished a biography of Liver Eating Johnson and found out that most mountain men where not solitary but usually had partners. I think we were created for the need for relationship.

If I had my pick between solo, or with a good hunting buddy, I'll take a buddy every time. However, I do think I'm a better hunter when I'm alone. All of my best stalks and most successful hunts have been alone. I think I move slower and more deliberate. None of those competitive thoughts enter my mind—stuff like who's better at climbing the mountain, are they as winded as I am, and who's got the better game-eye.

All that said, there's nothing worse than hunting with a bad hunting partner. Ooh boy, talk about a bad time in the woods when you realize a life long friend ain't welcome back to camp next year.

Take your dog next time. Maybe that wouldn't be perfect but it might be all you need.

Just another idea.

I prefer company but I'll take what I can get. Last November I spent a week in SE Alaska by myself. First couple days was hard but I got used to it. The hardest part were the nights because of 16 hours of darkness. Dreaded the nights.

Just got back from a solo elk hunt in AZ. Days were rough because hunting was only happening for a couple of hours at first light, and then again at last light. Spent all day sleeping in a hammock.

I guess it just takes different folks. I am an extrovert, but I am also comfortable alone. In fact, when I was fishing the Madison a few days by mself this past summer I told my wife I had an epiphany: I think I am a better person when no one is around. (what I meant by that is I don't have to deal with the dumb stuff of this world that ticks me off.) I just finished a biography of Liver Eating Johnson and found out that most mountain men where not solitary but usually had partners. I think we were created for the need for relationship.

I also believe I am a better person when by myself for the reason you stated and also when I'm alone I don't feel like I have to make the "correct" decision as to exactly where and how I hunt.

I'm lucky to have a great hunting buddy, always gives me first crack at whatever we are chasing... not much help on the pack out though...

mt.jpg

or camp chores..

chair.jpg

I have 2 good hunting partners that I enjoy hunting with. Sadly one of them is getting up there in age so we don't do the rough hunts anymore and the other can only go every few years. I am going alone all this year. The worst part is driving out 18-24 hrs and packing out meat by myself.

I also believe I am a better person when by myself for the reason you stated and also when I'm alone I don't feel like I have to make the "correct" decision as to exactly where and how I hunt.

This line is my feeling exactly. When I hunt solo I create a plan and execute it. The plan may be wrong but I don't really waver. However when I am hunting with others I get really frustrated because I find my decision making very wishy washy.

I just returned from five days of deer hunting solo in southern NM and found that a couple books and podcasts were plenty to ward off any loneliness.

Totally understand. I am a people person, at least I think I am. My last 2 western hunts have been solo. Harvested a cow elk and a small muley buck. Maybe I'm a better hunter when alone, but I do enjoy being able to make all the decisions and having only myself to blame when it doesn't work out. I do have a DeLorme InReach device. I text the Mrs. and kids every night, that helps a lot! It's worth a couple bucks a day to hear from them. The down times in the elk woods on hot still mid-days are the worst though!!

This year was the first time I mainly hunted with other people. I honestly didn't prefer it.... That is, until we killed elk, then it was really nice having the help. But, for the most part, I really enjoy being alone with thoughts and not having any distractions. I hunt hard, and when I'm not hunting, I'm either eating or sleeping. I take a lot of naps when the action is slow. I don't spend much time in or at my camp. I'm always out hunting, and then there's the "next-hill-itis" that tends to set in.... I never find myself bored. Oh, I also talk to myself... a lot. It's a normal behavior that helps you cope with being alone. (think Tom Hanks in Castaway)

Also, killing something the first or second day really helps too. ;)

Loneliness is one of the classic symptoms of altitude sickness. The effects of altitude on the brain exacerbate issues in your psyche.

Most of Sept-Dec, I don't get enough sleep because of hunting.
When I have an all-by-myself camp, hunting takes all day right up til dinner back at camp - too busy to be lonely. Then I usually go to bed at about 1900 - end up getting about 9-10 hours of sleep. Way more than I get the rest of the season.
Solitude in hunting country is a good thing (must admit having one or two of my dogs in a birdhunting camp is my preferred method over hoofed critter camp).
IMG_3005.jpg

Last edited:
I love hunting with friends. But I also second guess my idea when with others. If I'm by myself and it's a stupid plan. Oh well. When with others i worry too much about making the right plan.

My Son and I have been hunting together now for over 40 years. When we went Elk hunting we would each have a license and hunted alone but had designated times that we would make radio contact. About 10 years ago we realized that we really preferred hunting together rather than alone so we started alternating years and buying only one license. Since then I have "guided" him to a couple of bulls and he has likewise "guided" me to two.

This year will sorta be a "Centennial" year for us as I am 75 years old and he is 50.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back