Sierra tgk bullets?

antelopedundee

Was browsing around my local Sportsman's Warehouse today and ran across a new offering from Sierra called the Gamechanger or TGK. Bought a box of 6.5 mm 130 grainers. Looks like a Hornady SST clone with a green polymer tip.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/4330/264-dia-65mm-130-gr-TGK

Anyone had the opportunity to use these bullets this year? If so do you have any comments?

I wasn't planning on using a 6.5 this year, but since I'm leaving for Wyoming on Mon the 1st if I change my mind I'd best do it quick.

I asked Sierra if TGK stands for The Green Killer.

Last edited:
They've been out for a little while now.
Initial offerings in 7mm are heavier than i like to shoot. No 25 caliber offerings last i looked.
Should be comparible to the Ballistic Tip, and others along those lines.
If they fly like a TMK, you'll be golden!

I got them to shoot in my 6.5 creedmoor with ramshot hunter. Little slower than I would like for a hunting round, so I think I will just stick with the 125 Nosler Partition.

I was thinking about picking up a box for my 260 but with loads finalized and hunts too close I decided to not change, lets us know how they shoot!

The first thing I noticed is that the tips aren't very green. More like black. Loaded a box of 6.5-06 AI with the 130 grainers and 61 grains of IMR7828. They'll be what they'll be.

There's an ongoing thread about them over at longrangehunting. mtmuley

Lotta comments about wish/dream bullets in that thread. For me it would be a Nosler partition in a boattail version. Even if it could be done, it may not be worth the trouble.

Lotta comments about wish/dream bullets in that thread. For me it would be a Nosler partition in a boattail version. Even if it could be done, it may not be worth the trouble.

The Accubond is about as close as you will get to a Partition boattail. Used properly, a fantastic bullet. mtmuley

The Accubond is about as close as you will get to a Partition boattail. Used properly, a fantastic bullet. mtmuley

I'm starting to think the new TLR bullet from Federal might be the best of both worlds--bonded, tipped bullet up front, solid rear shank, decent ballistic coefficient. I'm excited for them to start shipping the 155gr 7mm Rem Mag load.

I loaded a box of 20 with CCI BR-2 primer, 61 grains of IMR7828 and went to the range. Rifle was a Rem 700 with Shilen barrel in 6.5-06AI 9 twist. Took my first lope with it in 1987. Used it last year with rem 9 1/2 Primer, 61 grains of IMR7828 and Hornady 129 gr interlocks. The rifle is likely needing a new barrel and the barrel isn't as free floating as it needs to be. The 3 shots in the lower left are the Hornadys. The ones in the center are the TGKs. Not what I was hoping to see, but I'm still going to use it to fill one tag.

9zRnDEq.jpg

e5DO8sg.jpg

OvY5jUH.jpg

z2cGHjq.jpg

Antelope
Looks as if your neck turning your brass. If so you need to turn in further down the neck into the shoulder junction just barely. Also I’d bet your rifle has a long throat and probably gets pretty good velocity huh?

Antelope
Looks as if your neck turning your brass. If so you need to turn in further down the neck into the shoulder junction just barely. Also I’d bet your rifle has a long throat and probably gets pretty good velocity huh?

That was neck turned maybe 20 years ago. The barrel was fitted and chambered in Shilen's shop some time prior to 1987 so I'm not sure what the throating was then. It's got over 1300 rounds through it so a new barrel isn't out of the question. OTOH I've enough other rifles to use that if I did nothing that would be ok too. I'll probably rebarrel it before my smith calls it quits.

I'm happy to report that the 6.5 mm 130 grainers worked about as well as anything I've used in the past which was mostly the Hornady 129 grain interlocks. They seemed to be a bit less destructive than the interlocks. Took a small antelope buck which was DRT and filled a doe tag. The doe went maybe a few yards. Small entrance wound on each and no gaping exit wound on either.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back