Elk and wolves...

Agree. The dynamics have certainly changed. I'm a bit annoyed at myself to a degree for getting out to hunt and coming up empty, again. Lack of pre-hunt scouting on my part has taken it's toll.
It is what it is.

Thanks guys for the discussion.

Charles,

I have many, many recipes for tag soup. Always happy to share that wisdom. :)

I use to be angry at all of the elk for attracting wolves to my hunting spots but now I have forgiven them.

If you and your friends are not actively hunting wolves in your ‘honey hole’ then you are part of the problem. Why don’t your take the time to do a little population control instead of ranting about it here? FWP gives us the opportunity to help control this problem, it’s our fault if we don’t take them up on it...

If every deer, elk, antelope, or any any hunter for that matter had a wolf tag in their pocket and even 10 percent of them had a chance encounter and managed to take a wolf, wouldn't it make a difference in the wolf population? Complaining about the wolf problem and doing nothing about it accomplishes nothing. Do something about it by purchasing a wolf tag and shoot one if you have the chance.
Just because someone shoots a wolf doesn't mean they have to have the hide tanned and the skull mounted. Saying that the cost of that is detrimental to shooting a wolf is nonsense.

I listened to a talk last year by Big Fin and David Allen, both of them seemed fairly concerned about wolves. Anytime a large carnivore that can double in population fairly quickly is unmanaged it's something to consider, especially when a couple of the most informed people I know of show an interest. David Mech said once that to maintain a population of wolves at a number below maximum carrying capacity one would need to cull about 33% yearly, , , higher than that if you want to reduce populations.

In the fifth paragraph of the preface of Aldo Leopold's Game Management he clearly states the thesis of game management, it is explicitly to minimize those peaks and valleys of populations that I read about a few comments above.

Wolves tend to get to a point where they self-regulate. There is only so much territory for packs-once the available territory is filled it will be a limiting factor on the total population. I live in an area where there are far more wolves than anywhere in MT and I have not noticed any negative impacts on my hunting. In fact, it probably has been a positive because so many folks piss and moan about wolves and use it as an excuse to sit in the cabin instead of hunt, which means less pressure on a lot of public lands

Wolves tend to get to a point where they self-regulate.

http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/...-polarizing-issue-of-wolf-management-head-on/
Some dream that wolves and prey will find some perfect balance. That may have been possible 400 years ago over large uninterrupted landscapes. With a half billion people living on this continent, fracturing elk and deer habitat, changing landscapes with our presence, such balance is a nice thought, but impractical. Until all 500 million of us agree to pack our bags and leave this continent, restoring it back to its original condition, the days of self-balancing within some socially acceptable population ranges will not happen.

Speaking of Colorado and the discussion over wolves;

https://www.outdoornews.com/2017/01/17/rmef-colorado-wolf-movement-puts-elk-crosshairs/
“Wolves have a measureable and oftentimes detrimental impact on big game management wherever they go. Their reintroduction into the northern Rocky Mountains led to a reduction of the northern Yellowstone herd by more than 80 percent,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “Among other things, wolves also greatly reduced elk numbers to dangerously low levels in central Idaho and have a profound impact on declining moose and deer populations in the western Great Lakes region.”

I've found after this last hunt that i am stepping out of the "opportunistic" role of wolf hunting and will place an intent behind hunting these big game predators.
I also see a clear fact of statistics... our harvest rate is not meeting the population expansion. Since the hunter/trapper management of wolves, we have consistently remained around 200-240 wolves harvested each year. Meanwhile our wolf population (Speaking for Montana) is expanding.

I believe for many, the wolves have not made an immediate effect on their, "Honey-holes" to truly gain a sense of the impact this new wolf dimension has impressed on those of us directly effected. This year's hunt sealed it for myself and as stated by others here... it is time to adapt. I didn't view wolves as I do now. I appreciate that states hold control over their wolf management programs though I believe we need to add incentives for maintaining a harvest rate to match their growth.

Last edited:
In Minnesota we have approximately 2500 wolves. I believe that’s more than Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho combined! Wolves change things, but you learn to adjust a bit. I see them frequently and am always shocked when folks are so excited to see a wolf (they must not get outside much). I’m careful around them and don’t trust them. I have a few stories. Be thankful that you’re allowed to manage them a bit in the western states! We can’t because of a poor decision by a liberal judge. I think the wolves would be better off if there were less of them. As would the deer and struggling moose population.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back