CO GMU 4 - First Season Rifle - Black Mountain / Welba / Baldy - Cows or Bulls

ComebackSeason

Hi guys -

First time poster, and thanks for the wealth of knowledge that everyone contributes to the forum. New-ish elk hunter (3rd year this year) trying my best to learn the hard way - lots of research and DIY public land hunting in CO. Hunted GMU 4 in CO the past 2 years and struck out, hence the username ComebackSeason! Last year the group took a couple cows near the Welba area.

Hunting for meat with tags for bulls and cows; just trying to fill the freezer here.

Anyways, we have tags for 1st season rifle (10/13 - 10/17) in GMU 4 / 441 / 3 / 5 / 214 / 301, and are planning to target GMU 4. We've done a lot of map work, and have some areas narrowed down that we like. I've got a few questions that I would really appreciate any advice on:

1. I've read lots on bull strategies for post-rut (i.e. focus on sanctuary, and play escape routes from hunting pressure), but curious if we should think the same way for cow strategy? Or any other tips on how we could be targeting cows in this time frame? What geographic features should I be focusing on in scouting to find the cow and spike herd?

2. Our shortlist of areas in GMU 4 we like are: Black Mountain, Welba, Baldy Peak, Saddle Mountain, and Sawtooth Mountain. Within each of those areas, we've cut up the map to get off roads, identify sanctuary, food, water, and approach routes based on thermals. We are willing to hike hard and not afraid to put miles in. Any suggestions on the highest chances of filling the freezer within those areas? Certainly not asking for anyone's honey holes, but would appreciate any advice on getting my first animal down. My thought is to plan the hunt to be able to hit a couple of these target areas (e.g. Black Mountain and then Welba, or Saddle Mountain then Sawthooth), so if our first area isn't productive, we can pivot quickly.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice for this rookie. Happy to pay it forward in anyway that I can. PMs welcome if you'd rather not share tips broadly.
-ComebackSeason

Hi guys - quick bump on the thread in case anyone has any advice before we head out in a couple days!

Much appreciated and good luck to everyone out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back