Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Laramie - Late Season (Dec)

tx_basser

Son wants to go on another elk hunt, and with him in Trade School our hunting time together is limited to his 3-4 week break over most of December. I see Wyoming has allot of left over Cow Tags and wondering if most of the roads into the Medicine Bow are passable to get to a trailhead. I know it will colder than a all get out.. but mostly concerned that we can actually get somewhere to hunt.

What area are you looking at? The areas around the Medicine Bow National Forest that still have cow tags available (6 and 125) have very little to no public access.

Unit 6 (Area east of Laramie) is showing to have Cow Tags available, and the maps online for that area of the National Forest showed several trailheads.

You cannot hunt national forest land with a type 6 tag in area 6. I do not recommend getting an area 6 tag unless you have access to a sizeable piece of private land or access through private to a large parcel of public land. There are area 6 leftovers for a reason. Most of the BLM and state land in area 6 is landlocked with no public access. There is a small handful of accessible parcels. If you hunted hard for a few weeks, you might get lucky and find a herd on accessible land.

6 is hard to hunt. Most landowners lease out to outfitters so walking across this property to public is likely a no go. I'm 2 years in to my plan on gaining access to some private but I suspect that I'm still a few years out.

125 doesn’t have a lot of public. There is a large Hunter management area. It allows access if you are successful in their lottery. If the snow is right the elk are out there. PM me if you have any questions. I hunted it last year and picked up another leftover tag this year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back