Nosler Accubond 140 grain 7mm RM vs Pronghorn

jt13

Browning A-bolt 7mm RM
140 grain Nosler Accubonds
64.0 grains IMR 4350
Velocity @ 3250 fps

Just got home from a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming and thought I would put some info out there for anyone who would be willing to read it.I shot a buck and 3 doe and every one of them dropped like they were crushed by the hand of god but pushing those Accubonds that fast caused a pretty violent expansion and some massive holes and meat damage. I am happy with how they preformed and this was more or less what I expected to happen.

Also worth noting was the further the shot, the less obscene the hole and meat damage. The doe that was @ 400 yards was pretty reasonable but the doe @120 looked like I shot her with a 50 BMG.

On the buck I had an interesting experience. He was bedded quartering away @ 190 yards and the bullet clipped his back knee before entering his chest. The bullet expanded fully on the knee, broke the leg in 2 places, and continued through to liver and lungs. He was instantly deceased from the hydrostatic shock and he never even stood from his bed. Inside his chest the damage looked akin to buckshot from chunks of lead and bone. No exit. Heres a photo of how he laid where you can see the pretty massive entry wound.
IMG_2600.HEIC.jpg

Speed kills thats for sure! Though I think what I have learned is that you shouldn't push the Accubonds that fast and in the future when shooting lighter bullets out of a magnum caliber it may be better to use either a monolithic copper bullet or a partition that will both retain more of their weight at higher velocities and not expand as violently.

I had the same exact experience with the identical load last year. I really think the 140 just are too fast. I loved the accuracy, recoil, and trajectory of the 140, but it looked like a grenade went off when it hit an animal. I have worked up a load with the 160 and will be using that for lope, deer, and elk this year. That load is about 2900 FPS.

Last edited:
That would be expected from that combo, and I suspect that part of that large entrance wound is from the bullet opening AND tumbling/yawing as it entered that side. Good to know, and thank you for sharing your experience with them--I was going to try the 140gr Accubond in my 7mm (factory Nosler ammo) but wasn't getting the velocities they claimed--Sidenote, Nosler made good and sent me a replacement box of ammo that was more in spec--and I've since gone to a couple different loads in my 2 7mm Mags. In my custom build with 27" Proof barrel, I'm using factory Winchester 168gr Accubond Long Range, and in my Winchester XPR I'm using the Barnes 139gr LRX, hearkening to your point about using a monolithic in light-for-caliber bullet weights. I believe will fill that niche of speed and bullet integrity upon impact.

The "sweet spot" IMO is right on the white line 5-6" behind the shoulder on a broad side shot...you wont lose any meat. They aren't put together too tough so if u get close to the shoulders, spine or large muscle groups u get meat damage.

Well Boys & Girls, I guess the lesson learned from this is that no one needs a 7RM for 'Lopes. They are not that big, tough, nor really require long range shooting (most of the time).

If there was a 25/08 on the market today, I would say that it would be a hands-down 'Lope Winner !

Well Boys & Girls, I guess the lesson learned from this is that no one needs a 7RM for 'Lopes. They are not that big, tough, nor really require long range shooting (most of the time).

If there was a 25/08 on the market today, I would say that it would be a hands-down 'Lope Winner !

257 Roberts would be my classic caliber response. The cartridge arguments are mostly trivial...dead is dead so congrats to the OP on a successful hunt.

Last edited:
7mm Rem Mag is a little heavy for lopes, unless you’re not concerned with damage.

I used my 338 Win. Mag. with 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips on a Wyoming doe antelope this year, and it didn't kill her any deader than the other one that I shot with a 270 Win. and a 140 grain Berger. No meat damage whatsoever, as the shot was broadside and behind the shoulder.

Thanks for posting. What you described is exactly why I no longer use Accubonds in my 270 WSM. The bullet damage was unacceptable both in terms of meat loss on imperfect shots and possible lead fragmentation. Switched to copper and will never look back. They perform as well on antelope as they do on elk. Congrats on the freezer full of meat! Looks like you had a great trip. Beautiful buck.

I had the same exact experience with the identical load last year. I really think the 140 just are too fast. I loved the accuracy, recoil, and trajectory of the 140, but it looked like a grenade went off when it hit an animal. I have worked up a load with the 160 and will be using that for lope, deer, and elk this year. That load is about 2900 FPS.

I'll be moving to 160 grain partitions next, what powder did you end up using?

We had cow elk tags as well so I erred on the side of being overgunned for antelope. No elk to be found, temps were in the mid 80's during the day and they havent come out of the mountains

Thanks for posting. What you described is exactly why I no longer use Accubonds in my 270 WSM. The bullet damage was unacceptable both in terms of meat loss on imperfect shots and possible lead fragmentation. Switched to copper and will never look back. They perform as well on antelope as they do on elk. Congrats on the freezer full of meat! Looks like you had a great trip. Beautiful buck.

Thank you!

I don't really get into all of the ammunition/load tinkering, but I do enjoy hearing about successful hunts! Nice buck!

I'll be moving to 160 grain partitions next, what powder did you end up using?

I ended up going with reloader 26. I had to tinker with the new 8lb can I just bought but I got my velocities and groups back up. I went out last Sunday and shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 600. All other where sub 0.5 MOA. That's with a 160 accubond.

Not really. Been using a .300 RUM and 200 grain Accubonds for years without issue. mtmuley

Oh hell, you probably use it for gophers too!

I’ve used a 300 WBY on one but there is really no need for that kind of power on an antelope.

Back