Caribou Gear Tarp

Grizz hunting is over

This was certainly expected. The battle is just beginning, it should prove interesting to see how this plays out. Those who want to see the grizz delisted and managed partly by hunting are no doubt out numbered and financed as well...

Yea... that judge knows more about them bears than those silly bios who say they are doing fine....:W:
On a side note, the great lakes wolf had the same crap happen just after 2 short trapping seasons. That was 3 or 4 years ago and my guess is there is far less wolves now than when they were able to be trapped. Right or wrong, people just got sick of the BS and took things into their own hands. I hear far less guys complaining about wolves now than when they could be legally hunted and trapped.

Last edited:
So now what? Is there to be an appeal of this? Or do they just stay on the ESA forever? And what about those that dontated for the photographer to get a tag? Will they get a refund, or does that money just sit?

I guess the judge feels their needs to be a solid population between Yellowstone and canada for breeding diversity, not sure what taking 20 bears a year would affect that.

The problem is the ESA is one of the most important conservation laws ever passed. When it is misapplied, such as here, it raises the furor to dismantle or significantly diminish the ESA which could potentially do much harm to future species in desperate need of our protection.

In other words, we could potentially throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Grizzly

one man fiat.. its a broken system when some clown who has no knowledge of a subject overturns the actual science. thats a disgrace.

Thats ok.

People will just put the politics aside and start treating them just like people treated the wolves in Michigan.

Really, is anyone really surprised this happened? I kind of figured it would. Let's just go by what happened with the wolves for a history in how these things will go. I know a lot of people were pissed MT didn't start their own hunt, but knowing this was going to happen, it's probably best we didn't.

It's just the first step in a process. It'll happen with time.

So I know about the wolfs hunting getting stopped in WI and MI. I wasn't sure were that stood did people just quit trying to get them de-listed again?

Have people really started to just shoot them?

I'm only part way through the judge's 48 page ruling, but if I am understanding it correctly, she isn't contesting whether or not the GYE segment alone qualifies for delisting. It seems as though the "Service" thought that it was unnecessary to see how their delisting would impact the other distinct groups since they proposed keeping them listed. Apparently the court saw this as necessary per the 5-factor ESA analysis. I'm not a lawyer, but that is how I've interpreted what I've read so far.

So now what? Is there to be an appeal of this? Or do they just stay on the ESA forever? And what about those that dontated for the photographer to get a tag? Will they get a refund, or does that money just sit?

That "Excess" money is probably earmarked to go to the Judge that ruled in the anti's favor. A goodwill gesture to ensure future favorable rulings.

I guess the judge feels their needs to be a solid population between Yellowstone and canada for breeding diversity, not sure what taking 20 bears a year would affect that.

Especially when only 1 of those could be female. As far as I know the harvest of boars has very little effect on the population in the grand scheme.

So I know about the wolfs hunting getting stopped in WI and MI. I wasn't sure were that stood did people just quit trying to get them de-listed again?

Have people really started to just shoot them?
That'd be my guess. I heard lots of barstool talk about the hound runners eradicating packs and didn't believe it at first. Then areas me and other people I know that used to be full of wolves had none. Then not much complaints about wolves anymore. Again, right or wrong, I find it ironic that the relisting has probably had the opposite effect on the population. People want to obey the laws but get sick of crooked politics making them.

Back