Caribou Gear

Sons First Antelope

MT_elk

After applying for several years, my son drew his first antelope tag this year. I'm not sure who was more excited, my son or grandpa. This would be the first hunt where his grandpa would be able to accompany us on the hunt. The morning was cool and crisp with only a slight breeze. Just as we were leaving the truck, I could barely make out the outline of antelope on the horizon. The hunt was on! We were only able to get within 500 yards or so of the first group of antelope (which was a bit too far). We continued on and soon found another group of antelope. There were no shooter bucks in the group, so the search continued. We tried several more stalks; crawling on our hands and knees, only to come up short on the distance (it's amazing how little cover there can be when you're stalking an antelope). We stopped for lunch and the wind really began to blow. Right after lunch we spotted another group of antelope. We were are able to close the distance, but I was really worried about the tornado of a WY wind that had picked up. My son was confident he could make the shot, and sure enough, the buck dropped in his tracks!
Jayden2small.jpg

Proud Grandpa
JaydenGrandpasmall.jpg

Proud Dad
Jayden_Greg2small.jpg

Awesome!! My son is really looking forward to going out west and chasing pronghorns in a few years.

Way to go!

Great job! He's a very nice first. Looks like you and grandpa were just as tickled as him!

Back