PEAX Equipment

ID Panhandle Bull

westbranch

Can't believe I got it done so fast. Barely hunted two days and got a bull Sunday morning. I had 9 days to hunt and was planning on being out all week. Spent a lot of time scouting, but only hunted 2 days last year. So just wanted to get some time in the woods and hoped to see a bull this week. Hunting Panhandle A tag in the thick brush of north ID.

Hunted during the day Saturday and bumped some cows, saw tons of fresh sign and some giant rubs. A couple bugles 1 hr before sunset. Then there was bugling all night and I started out at 5:30 am Sunday morning and bumped into some elk 200 yards from camp. Never saw them but slowly followed the direction they went trying to softly call. There was bugling in multiple directions, pretty sure only one was another hunter that I heard park his pickup. Followed the cows through the brush thinking a bull should be nearby. They never seemed to run real far ahead. Got down to a 15+ yr old clearcut and minutes later cows were cutting across it and I saw antlers in the brush behind them. Moved to a shooting lane and had what should have been a layup of a shot, just over 30 yards broadside. The bull stopped when I made a soft call. Arrow was way to the right, and I assumed a miss. But the bull started to stumble and took off down hill, I saw an antler up in the air and heard a crash.

I assumed I hit the front leg and was kicking myself, but thought it was possible the bull would bleed out. I waiting a while and then it started to rain, went down to look for the arrow and blood, but found nothing. Started to downpour and I headed back to camp to regroup and my wife was reading a book in the tent. Ate some breakfast and got her back out with me. We looked for blood and the arrow again, but found nothing. Headed down to where it crashed and I could see the antler! The arrow went through the throat and it bled out quickly. So lucky, still can't believe that bad shot turned out. See entrance wound below. <1/2 mile and 400 ft of elevation change, not too far... but plenty of thick brush.

Thanks to all out there that have shared various tips and tricks. Can't believe it all happened so quick in an OTC unit that gets so much pressure. No way next year can be this easy, but I plan to keep scouting and putting in time.

As it laid.

IMG_20180923_104641669_HDR.jpg

Trophy shot.

IMG_20180923_110311.jpg

Thinking about how I am going to start quartering this thing. Last animal I cut up was a bear in 2016, and a deer in 2013 before that. Under 7 hrs from starting to getting it all out. Managed it in 2 trips each of boned out meat.

IMG_20180923_105254.jpg

Congratulations on a nice bull. Enjoy the easy ones when they offer the opportunity. Elk seldom make it easy on us hunters.

Thanks! Looked pretty big to me! But my point of reference is only one elk up close. It looked bigger than they do out in the field otherwise :)

Congrats on a great archery bull. Also by the time you get the last load to your vehicle it seems like they weigh at least a ton. :rolleyes:

Solid work.

Caption the 3rd photo: "How the *($^ do I move this thing by myself?"

Well done! Looks like a beautiful area, I visited the panhandle when i was a kid and Ill never forget the vastness and beauty..

Nice bull!

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. The very first deer I killed with a bow I did the same thing. I cut her windpipe out. She didn't make it very far.

My biggest buck two years ago was also similar. I hammered the trigger and hit in front of his leg into his neck. I was so disappointed in myself. I let him sit for an hour. When I went back I walked 5' passed where I had hit him and there was blood everywhere. I hit something in his neck, he didn't make it very far.

Awesome Bull! Glad you were able to get out and get one and the scouting and planning paid off. Hoping to get one of those in a couple weeks.

Thanks all! I still can't believe how it all worked out so quickly. Moved here 1 yr and 3 months ago because I wanted to spend more time in the mountains hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping. It seemed easier to move to elk hunt than plan as a non-resident :D. Luckily my wife was more than willing and loves it out here. I am going to have to spend a lot of time getting ready for next year.

Congrats, I made a bad shot on a deer last year and thought man at least I can see it as it ran. Right in front of the back hams. It went 20 yards and tipped over, cut the main artery.

Working on processing, I weighed 172 lbs of boned out meat. Seems pretty good for a raghorn? Will lose a few of those lbs for sinew and fat.

Boned out meat weighs more than the last gutted whitetail doe (~140) and black bear (~150) we processed... good thing I have some time off work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back