MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO GMU 49 moose

Devil Diver Down

I burned my NR elk points this year on an archery tag. Wrong year as it was really hot and dry and I am eating tag soup because the elk didn't want to play or even talk. Did have a few close encounters with moose though and thought I'd share.

IMG_2298.jpg
This little lady came into a wallow while I was sitting under 10 yards away. She took her sweet time getting there after crunching through the alders and staying ~ 20 yards out. Once I saw it wasn't an elk, I put down my bow and reached for my phone instead.

STC_0111.jpg
This big boy was vocal often as I was sitting this seep during day hours. I was walking a nearby trail in the rain and dark (headlamp off - it's too long a story to explain) and I heard a grunt and twigs cracking. Turned on my light and he was about 5 yards away. It was a pants-changing event. I don't know chit about judging moose but he seemed big to me, at least.

I saw a few other bulls with smaller paddles and got decent video of one at 31 yards. Pretty cool, but I wish they had been elk! ;)

Chase that big fella over the divide please... north and eastish. Man what a trophy moose. I haven't seen his like yet, but it is just getting good.

We did see him in the daylight but he was too far away for a decent pic (only like 125 yards) and I saw 2 other, smaller bulls in the same vicinity during the day. They were hanging out near our camp. Too bad the elk didn't want to play the same game.

nice pics, thanks for sharing. Sorry about your 49 hunt. 76 had similar challenges but ultimately we found where they were rutting hard and had a good hunt which was different from “their usual spots”.

Always better to be hunting than not hunting.

Back