First Time Chasing Grouse (Montana)

R.K.

IMG_20180923_103142114.jpg

Started up around 8000', blanked on the dusky grouse. Came down to around 6000' and jumped a ruffed grouse in an aspen thicket, under a lone conifer. He was a bit close, but I got his head.

Jumped another one about an hour later, but I couldn't get the shot off in time. Final score: 1-1. I can't wait to go back out to chase these things. That being said- I gotta get a dog...

Cheers,

R.K.

Be careful. First a dog. Then another shotgun. Then lotsa $$ on gas chasing birds all over the goddamn place. Then another dog. Then......
I love hunting antelope. Muleys fascinate me. I hunt elk like it's a chore that will be completed. I'll probably never get my Breaks sheep tag I apply for annually. They all have their place.
However-
I'm not religious whatsoever, but hunting birds is as close as I come to it.
Welcome to it. In MT, four straight months of continuous-go back out again tomorrow even though you were successful today-different spp., different country tomorrow-hunt with your best friend happiness.

Last edited:
Having blue grouse batter fried breasts dipped in honey tonight - shot this morning, never saw the freezer.
Try it R.K.
That fuzzy face pointing yet, JLS??..........

Grouse are some of the best eating birds! Welcome to the addiction!

D6CCB894-989A-4523-ACF1-9C59EDD10F66.jpg

Got my first Dusky this weekend. Had a few missed opportunities on Ruffies as well. Can’t wait to get back out.

Oh, I grew up chasing ducks and almost always had a lab to sit with on the couch- I'm no stranger to the feather addiction, or the associated costs. And I need a spare shotgun for when my dad comes to visit, anyways.

I'm hoping to get into the blues- they look a little bigger than the ruffies, but I'm just not sure how to find them. I thought I heard some booming in the one area I hunted, but never saw one. Lots of moose sign, but that was about all I ran across up there.

I would like to find someone as crazy as I am too hunt with, though- it's a bit unnerving hunting solo in bear country, especially without cell service.

Ben- thanks for the article. That describes almost exactly the first spot I tried (and thought I heard faint drumming), but never flushed a bird in two hours of kicking brush.

I'm not sure if I'll go back up there- if I get a flat, I don't trust my spare tire (donut) to get me off the mountain. The road was a bit rough with spire rock pointing up.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back