Yeti GOBOX Collection

How do you sex a bear visually?

std7mag

So i got my PA bear license for this year. I've never hunted bear before, but looking at my game camera pictures looks like it wouldn't hurt.
Have pics of 10 different bears, 4 are repeat customers.

Anyways, i was just wondering.

Thank You.

Richard P Smith had a DVD on field judging bb for $20. I still don't know any better. But it would seem you need actual video and pictures comparison...not words or cartoon drawings. Might help to look up free stuff like the YouTube posted above but I found these wanting. They don't identify which it is you are looking at in the video! What good does that do you? Ideally it should show a male and say this is a male and then show a female and say what it is.

Young bears are tough, but mature bears are fairly easy.

Females tend to have short necks, thin wrists smaller fore legs, round butts, short bodied rounded foreheads, and narrow and short muzzle/face.

Some old sows can be tough to tell from youngish boars.

Boars have a swagger, and tend to have bigger shoulders, and long necks and longer bodies.

You have to look at lots of bears, but IMO it's not too hard once you start to see the differences.

Without a lot of experience, sexing black bears can be tough. Have you been able to tell who's who from any of your pics? have you shared the pics with someone with more experience (w/bears) to estimate sex?
From what I remember about PA bear hunting, its not like you're going to be able to watch the animal for much time, to come up with a reasonable guess about sex. Most bears are shot (in PA) as a result of the bear being driven or spooked (by another hunter) past you. As in: somethings coming; got a glimpse of black; shit, its a bear; shoot.
You should concentrate on deciding if a bear is small or BIG, before worrying about its sex, in PA.

Back