Colorado GMU 10 Elk - tips?

COEngineer

I have enough points and hope to draw an archery elk tag for GMU 10 in 2019, but have never set foot in the unit. I am headed out there this coming weekend with a bear tag, but intending to primarily scout for elk and if I see a bear, that's just gravy.

Any help with just a trailhead or camping spot to start at would be greatly appreciated. Normally, I wouldn't even bother asking for a spot, but since it is basically a once-in-lifetime unit, I thought I would ask if anyone wants to share a specific spot.

Or, if you were just there hunting (archery or muzzleloader) and saw a bear, I would love to know where.

Thanks in advance.

I would hunt the N part of the wilderness study areas NE of Dinosaur. Also, one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen in CO, was in the ag fields just east of Rangley, N side of the freeway. There is alot of BLM behind those fields. Also, North of Rangely, I believe there was a fire in there last year that might be worth checking out. That'll get you started anyway.

I do not have onx or gohunt, but I have something similar (GPS unit that displays public/private and roads, trails, etc).

After I got the bear tag I found out it is not bear country - I think it must be a little joke the CPW likes to play on unsuspecting hunters, lol. Maybe I will leave the rifle and orange in the truck and just cover more ground.

Thanks for the tips.

COEngineer, I was thinking of applying for unit 10 or 2 for ML deer 2019. Just wondering if you have any info about the deer population in unit 10? Any help is greatly appreciated.

COEngineer, I was thinking of drawing this tag for 2019 Deer ML. Did you happen to see any good bucks while you were scouting for elk / Bear hunting? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hunted GMU010 in 2018 Archery, All 30 day's, spent 22 PP, Message or PM me and we can talk, I will let you know what we figured out, how did the Bear hunt go?
Bear.jpg

Shoot me a PM, I have 3 friends who have hunted the unit (1st rifle) but can send some areas to look at..

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back